New Doctor Who to be announced today

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: New Doctor Who to be announced today

Postby Wicker Man » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:29 pm

wishiwasskinny wrote:Am I the only person who does not care a jot, since it's JUST Dr Who. And it's kitsch, camp rubbish.

The last few episodes have been kitsch, camp rubbish.

The next one looks quite alarming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClNAiVhc ... -fresh+div
Wicker Man

Postby GTW » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:21 pm

Well, that was emotional! A transformation truly worth waiting for.

And, after months where there was only one official photo of the new Doctor released, the BBC has now, with the passing of Tennant, fully unleased Operation Doctor Eleven:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/newyear/
GTW

Postby Busty » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:38 pm

I thought that was a rather disappointing end - a great episode up to the bit where the Doctor cops it, but the slow and drawn out death was hardly a great way to go, the cheesy "visiting all the old friends" bit was needless (and what the hell were Martha and Mickey doing fighting a Sontaran?), and after all the build-up, and being told that it was impossible to guess what it meant, the whole "knocking four times" thing in fact consisted of knocking on a door four times. So not that hard to guess. Plus, why didn't they explain who that woman was?

All that said, I've got a good feeling about Matt Smith...
Junior! Thish ish intolerable!
Busty

Postby Blackout » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:37 am

Busty wrote: what the hell were Martha and Mickey doing fighting a Sontaran? ...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who really didn't understand what that was all about :)
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby pomfob » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Busty wrote: why didn't they explain who that woman was?

Which one, June Whitfield?

I'm going to guess you mean the one who kept popping up & talking to Wilf; she was one of the two Weeping Angels of the Timelords, who appear to function as their conscience...

As for Micky & Martha, didn't anyone else hear the clanging of 'Spin off! Spin off!' Well, now Torchwood's on hiatus, they'll be bound to try something.

Like pretty much all Dr Who's in the modern era, I thoroughly loved it...was that something in my eye when he met up with Jessica Hynes / Stephenson? Hmmm...
Last edited by pomfob on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Bing Diddley » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:14 pm

pomfob wrote:
Busty wrote: why didn't they explain who that woman was?

I'm going to guess you mean the one who kept popping up & talking to Wilf; she was one of the two Weeping Angels of the Timelords, who appear to function as their conscience...

They were stood in the gateway thing with their hands over their eyes like the Weeping Angel statues from the Blink episode which are apparently returning in the new series, so maybe she'll be back.
Not a copy, not fake, not Asian.
Bing Diddley

Postby burghblue » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Weren't they the two Timelords who voted against the TLs returning to the universe? There seemed to be enough loaded looks between the doctor and her in the scene with the amazing recocking pistol (especially when someone mentioned a mother) which suggested that she was his mum.

The regeneration would have been so much more affecting if it had happened in the radiation box in front of Bernie Cribbins, rather than half an hour of drawn out goodbyes later...
You're an absolute shower...
burghblue

Postby Kattegat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:51 pm

He is kind of scary.
Kattegat

Postby Raumfahrer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:35 am

Blackout wrote:
Busty wrote: what the hell were Martha and Mickey doing fighting a Sontaran? ...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who really didn't understand what that was all about :)

simple really; he went to say goodbye to them at a time when they needed to be rescued one last time, ie. in the future with a sontaran about to shoot them. and i don't think it was intended as the startign point for a spin-off (although with Torchwood, presumably finished, could be), rather a glimpse of what their lives turned out like before moving on to other characters in the forthcoming series.

and yes, i'm pretty certain it was the 2 who voted against the whole escapade.

as for the angels returning, it makes sense. i had a barney with my flatmate about it earlier; yes the doctor tricked them and trapped them, but only in a cellar with 1 lightbulb which is - inevitably - sooner or later going to go out.

also, looks liek we'll be seeign River Song again (a storylien which i do have my issues with; if hes only meeting her as the 11th incarnation, why does she not understand that the 10th re-incarnation wouldn't be able to recognise her on account of not having met her yet. surely the fact that he looks different to any previous (for her, future, for him and us) possible incarnation woudl make her cotton on to the fact that they hadn't met yet in that particular time line) and the new sidekick seems to be a rather pretty WPC. hey nonny nonny as Bill once said.
Raumfahrer

Postby Wicker Man » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:00 pm

Bernard Cribbins made me cry. Again.
Wicker Man

Postby GTW » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:21 pm

I'm going to this next week... cultural highlight of the year in week 2 of the year!

http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/bfi_south ... th_2150_ad
GTW

Postby Wicker Man » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Dear god, they're bound to show clips from 'The Railway Children', too. I'd be a puddle by the end.
Wicker Man

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:38 am

Why did the new doctor spit on the Tardis' control thingy?
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby GTW » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:17 pm

I didn't notice him do that. Are you sure. His scene went:

legs, i've got legs.
I'm a girl. Am I a girl? No, I'm not a girl.
Still not ginger.
Something important's happening. Oh where crashing
Geronimo.
GTW

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:24 pm

There was a definate flob
NicholasVanWotsisface

PreviousNext

Return to General