New Doctor Who to be announced today

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

New Doctor Who to be announced today

Postby Wicker Man » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:59 am

This is chiefly for the benefit of Pale Fox and Rover:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/entertainment/7807742.stm

The 'smart money' is apparently on Paterson Joseph (so it probably won't be him).
Wicker Man

Re: New Doctor Who to be announced today

Postby pauloso » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:36 pm

That and flicking between ITV for the football surely Foxy?

I want Paul McGann to be given another chance or they should give it to "The Johnson".
Last edited by pauloso on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I keep a shotgun buried in a box.
pauloso

Postby Cold Ethyl » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:04 pm

so we have EMO dr now!! An uglier Johnny Depp as Edward Scissorhands!! I doubt I will watch now.
"Even if I saw these names grouped together completely out of context away from here... lets say a set of albums sitting together in a charity shop - I would immediately think of you and no other!"

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby Wicker Man » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Cold Ethyl wrote:so we have EMO dr now!! An uglier Johnny Depp as Edward Scissorhands!! I doubt I will watch now.

You is so shallow. He'll win you over, I reckon.

I was getting worried - 26?! - and for an awful moment when his mug first appeared I thought they'd cast that bell-end out of The Mighty Boosh.

He won me over, though. A young-un who doesn't appear to use that annoying question inflection at the end of every other statement, and who was very good in those Sally Lockhart adaptations. And I really don't think we needed another pretty boy.

Best of all, he's not James Nesbitt.
Wicker Man

Postby Cold Ethyl » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:23 pm

Of course I is so shallow!!
I will no doubt watch- and I'm sure he is a fine actor but I need a bit more to warm the parts at my age;-)
"Even if I saw these names grouped together completely out of context away from here... lets say a set of albums sitting together in a charity shop - I would immediately think of you and no other!"

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby rover » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:41 pm

I like the fact that they've gone for someone without a massive profile. I was worried it'd go to some nobber like James Nesbitt.
From the little I've seen I think he'll make a good Doctor.

Big pair of converse trainers to fill, mind.
The Law of Inverse Relevance: the less you intend doing about something the more you have to keep talking about it.
rover

Postby Cold Ethyl » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:43 pm

rover wrote:I like the fact that they've gone for someone without a massive profile. I was worried it'd go to some nobber like James Nesbitt.
From the little I've seen I think he'll make a good Doctor.

Big pair of converse trainers to fill, mind.

and pants!

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby Lieutenant Woodpigeon » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:39 pm

So, who'll be his assistant?
Wave to the Wottingers.
Lieutenant Woodpigeon

Postby Wicker Man » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Lieutenant Woodpigeon wrote:So, who'll be his assistant?

Someone old enough to look like his mum or dad would be interesting. But since the new producer is a dirty old man, Peter Davison's daughter seems more likely.
rover wrote:I was worried it'd go to some nobber like James Nesbitt.

Yes, it's not James Nobsbitt or Julian Rhind-T**t. That's all that really matters.
Cold Ethyl wrote:and pants!

So you believe those 'Ten-inch' rumours, then?
Wicker Man

Postby bob falconscotch » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:18 pm

Lieutenant Woodpigeon wrote:So, who'll be his assistant?

I do hope its some repulsive middle-aged MILF,as Billie Piper caused an inexplicable shortage of tissues at Falconscotch Towers.
And shouldn't the title perhaps add a question mark after the appointment of this badly-coiffeured unknown?
James Dean was just a careless driver,and Marilyn Monroe was just a slag...
bob falconscotch

Postby Wicker Man » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:40 pm

bob falconscotch wrote:And shouldn't the title perhaps add a question mark after the appointment of this badly-coiffeured unknown?
People in the olden days made much the same comment about Tom Baker, and many - myself included - reacted in a similar fashion to the casting of David Tennant.
Last edited by Wicker Man on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wicker Man

Postby bob falconscotch » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:45 pm

Wicker Man wrote:
bob falconscotch wrote:
Lieutenant Woodpigeon wrote:And shouldn't the title perhaps add a question mark after the appointment of this badly-coiffeured unknown?

People in the olden days made much the same comment about Tom Baker, and many - myself included - reacted in a similar fashion to the casting of David Tennant.

Good point well made,Wicker Man.
Although the above-named have conspired to provide my lunch on more than one occasion,one for pies,the other for a pint.
James Dean was just a careless driver,and Marilyn Monroe was just a slag...
bob falconscotch

Postby Lieutenant Woodpigeon » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Well, I was thinking that it would have to be someone older, as someone younger would, most likely, be a bimbo. Mind you, they could get Maria or Rani from the Sarah Jane Adventures. The Martha Jones character was a failure (get down, Rover), and shows what can happen if you get the wrong assistant. I'm not sure how this will work out, and we have about 16 months before we see the fruits of their labours, but half the time I have an open mind and the other half of the time I can't see it working. Did they cast him because of his haircut or because they couldn't, even if he hadn't been in it already, get John Simm? I didn't like the idea of Billie Piper or David Tennant or Catherine Tate, but they all proved me wrong, thankfully. Oh well, the boy will get the blame if it goes belly-up, as Stephen Moffat isn't as high profile as Russell T.

Peter Davison's daughter is in for a hell of a shock if she returns!

Wicker Man, could you please re-arrange some " ", as I never actually said that.
Wave to the Wottingers.
Lieutenant Woodpigeon

Postby Cold Ethyl » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:55 pm

I will give the lad the benefit of the doubt, as personally, anyone would be on a hiding to nothing following DT. I actually would have liked David Morrissey myself as I like him as an actor- I just get the feeling that things might all go a bit Buffy now- the lad looks as though he has just walked of the pages of those dreadful Twilight books.

thanks Gary...
Cold Ethyl

Postby Lieutenant Woodpigeon » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:05 pm

Cold Ethyl wrote:I will give the lad the benefit of the doubt, as personally, anyone would be on a hiding to nothing following DT. I actually would have liked David Morrissey myself as I like him as an actor- I just get the feeling that things might all go a bit Buffy now

How many of them will still be in a job in 2011 if it does?
Wave to the Wottingers.
Lieutenant Woodpigeon

Next

Return to General