What you're doing

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

What you're doing

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:22 pm

I'm sad that the 'General' area of the forum is being neglected.
Please use this thread to post unimportant, uninteresting, even totally inconsequential daily happenings, thoughts, questions, musings and 'general' observations.

Today I saw a man driving a van that said "Dial-a-Pest" on it. Not "Dial-A-Pest-Extermination" or "Dial-A-Pest-Control" but just "Dial-A-Pest"

If you ring him does he then call you at 4am every weekday morning and ask what colour your knickers are?

As I said to him after I waved him over to the side of the road and got him to roll down his window - I don't want to dial a pest, and the colour of my knickers is very much my own business, thank you very much.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Re: What you're doing

Postby Hebrides Zimbo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Today I witnessed the wettest, most miserable day of the year so far. It's grim up north.
Set sail on those turquoise days
Hebrides Zimbo

Postby pomfob » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:41 am

From my office window, I can watch the new roof being put on Leeds' Grand Theatre.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Heartland » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:23 am

Before last night's gig at The Ritz I popped into Manchester Blood Donor centre. Hopefully some unwitting Lanc will shortly be topped up with a pint of Yorkshire's finest. You're welcome.
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Postby Blackout » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:46 pm

I am at work. I am currently waiting for the plasma chamber to achieve the pressure required to make a tetrafluoromethane plasma in order to evaporate some glass. I am also waiting for half past four so I can be out of here and on the way to that London. Here is a picture I took a few minutes ago of a cross section through a power transistor. There is almost certainly something that looks a lot like this somewhere inside whatever electronic device you are reading this on.
Attachments
picture.jpg
picture.jpg (111.95 KiB) Viewed 10717 times
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:20 pm

I just had an incredibly boring meeting with three Germans.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Heartland » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:37 am

Starting to enjoy this.

Have just eased the phrase The Land Beyond into a telephone conversation about possible parking control.
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 am

Heartland wrote:Starting to enjoy this.

Have just eased the phrase The Land Beyond into a telephone conversation about possible parking control.

Good stuff, this is potential forum gold. How many BSP references can you surreptitiously slip into your daily communications?

I will attempt it today in my emails to the Germans.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby TheAlex » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm enjoying this thread but have nothing 'interesting' to add. As Heartland went off topic and mentioned BSP, so will I. Maybe we can draw non-General-forum-regulars in. I was in the local library (I'm a big fan of the local library) earlier and read a fact I wasn't aware of - Noble said the reason the band changed from British Air Power to British Sea Power was because of the abbreviation - BSP looks/sounds better than BAP. He was right, but you could do some fun air-type things with that letter A, like plane or bird wings. It's made my life easier though, as I doubt Googling 'bap' would find a band called British Air Power, whereas Googling 'bsp' does find British Sea Power.

Now I've got that off my chest, I've thought of something worth posting. I spotted at least three books in the library that were out of order, and by out of order, I don't mean the topic - I didn't see anything denying the Holocaust, for example. These three books were not classified according to the Dewey Decimal Classification. I left the first one as it was, moved the second one to it's rightful place ("Florida" was in the "France" guidebook section), and put the third one flat on an empty part of shelving hoping a member of staff would reclassify it correctly.

Later on, I saw two staff in another part of the library checking for DDC. One of them said "it makes your eyes go all funny."
TheAlex

Postby ORK (Original Red Kite) » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:50 pm

On Saturday I went up a mountain that I thought was a Corbett (mountains in Scotland between 2500 & 3000 feet high, with at least 500 feet of descent on all sides). I later discovered it had been demoted 5 years ago. Must update my map and Corbett book editions.

As you were.
Hanx...
ORK (Original Red Kite)

Postby Blackout » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:20 pm

ORK (Original Red Kite) wrote:On Saturday I went up a mountain that I thought was a Corbett (mountains in Scotland between 2500 & 3000 feet high, with at least 500 feet of descent on all sides). I later discovered it had been demoted 5 years ago. Must update my map and Corbett book editions.

As you were.

I really like the extremely specific nature of that definition.

I just got two Creme Egg Easter eggs (1 x standard creme egg + 1 medium sized traditional foil-wrapped hollow chocolate egg) for 75p each from the supermarket near work because being back at work is rubbish.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Hirsute Joseph » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:52 pm

A friend of mine was staying over and in the morning crept into our bedroom and whispered "Guys...guys...do squirrels have naps?" We followed her out. There was a squirrel lying stretched out on the path into our neighbour's garden. "No, squirrels do not nap. Like that. Out in the sun in the middle of the path."

We buried under a tree. Sleep well, master squirrel.
"I challenge Destiny, yes, but I do not leap off cliffs."
Hirsute Joseph

Postby atombowl65 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:04 pm

So is there a classification for mountains higher than 3000 feet and if so can we call them Barkers?
atombowl65

Postby ORK (Original Red Kite) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:50 pm

atombowl65 wrote:So is there a classification for mountains higher than 3000 feet and if so can we call them Barkers?

Sadly, some geezer named Munro got there first. Corbetts are sometimes affectionately referred to as Ronnies and, if you can nab a couple ... well, you can imagine the hilarity that causes!
Hanx...
ORK (Original Red Kite)

Postby pomfob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:15 am

ORK (Original Red Kite) wrote:
atombowl65 wrote:So is there a classification for mountains higher than 3000 feet and if so can we call them Barkers?

Sadly, some geezer named Munro got there first.

Is it right that hills over 1,000 feet are known as Marilyns?

Done a handful of Munroes, some were fun, some less so. Should pick that up again. Going to see bands all the time gets in the way a bit.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Next

Return to General