Peel Island discs

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Peel Island discs

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:01 am

I have been listening to a few Desert Island Discs.

The John Peel one really brought home what we have lost

Nothing like him or his show around now

Where would he be if he was still on the radio today, On Radio 1, on 6? On youtube?
NicholasVanWotsisface

Re: Peel Island discs

Postby pomfob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:03 am

I think Radio One would have hung on to him as some sort of iconic figurehead, with only a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon or something. He'd probably have a few hours here and there on 6 Music too.

While Marc Riley, Gideon Coe and Peel Jr do a sterling job, they're not the man himself. I feel sorry for kids growing up without him.

Excuse me a moment, I've something in my eye...
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Heartland » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:24 pm

It wasn't just the music either, (which was usually tip top) but the dust-dry comments that followed certain tracks.

A Dictators tune ends one night and is followed by; "Well, aren't you glad they don't live next door to you?"

Top bloke.
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Postby TheAlex » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:25 pm

I've seen Cinerama a couple of times this year, and Your Charms (my favourite song by them) was introduced as a song David Gedge wrote for John Peel after he challenged him to write a song with that title. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD96H18YtC8

For some reason I remember hearing a lot of my favourite bands played by John Peel for the first time, but I can't remember one single band from any other DJ. Sadly I stopped listening to him towards the end, as his shows were pushed later and later.

The Festive 50 2001 was a classic, I have it on cassette tape somewhere.
TheAlex

Postby TheAlex » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 pm

I've been enjoying Desert Island Discs the past year or so. In fact, I now have a reason I want to be famous. I love that John Peel cried while stuck in traffic on the M6 near Stoke the first time he heard Teenage Kicks played by someone else on the radio: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00940m5

With Desert Island Discs, I've even found myself liking people I wasn't particularly enamoured by, so I gave myself the ultimate challenge of downloading an episode by someone I didn't like at all. I no longer strongly dislike this person. It was more because I found them annoying, I think, which isn't a good reason to dislike someone, although they are in the entertainment business.

One of the best episodes I've heard is with David Nott. I'll let him off for choosing Coldplay: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07djzyq

I'd got used to Kirsty Young, and Lauren Laverne has taken over. She's pretty good, and obviously interested in the music and her guests. Why did Kirsty Young always address everyone by their full name every time? There was one exception I can't remember.
TheAlex

Postby JennyMalin » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:36 pm

Heartland wrote:It wasn't just the music either, (which was usually tip top) but the dust-dry comments that followed certain tracks.

A Dictators tune ends one night and is followed by; "Well, aren't you glad they don't live next door to you?"

Top bloke.

That was the twist. But it was so subtle to grasp and overtly to be understood.
You have put it well
JennyMalin

Return to General