Party politics

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Party politics

Postby gtw » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:54 pm

I've been encouraged over recent weeks by Labour's emerging policy detail. Seems there is clear water between the Tories and Labour. Even though I have the luxury of being able to vote Green in my ultra-safe Labour seat, I would vote Labour if I needed to. I would be happy with labour or a broad-left coalition .... Labour / Green, Labour / SNP, Labour / Lib Dem, Labour / Plaid Cymru. Any combination of the above really, as long as it keeps the Tories and UKIP out of power. I just hope people vote for whichever non-Tory, non-UKIP alternative is best placed to win their constituency.
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:58 pm

I fear it will be a Tory/UKIP coallition
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby gtw » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:38 pm

Which would be the worst by far of all possible worlds. People on the left may hate the Lib Dems but they have at least acted as a brake on some of the Tories worst excesses, and have even seen some of their own worthwhile ideas come to fruition. The idea of the Tories not only having their own untrammelled way but also being egged ever rightwards by UKIP is so abhorent that it has to be avoided by any cost. That's why I'm holding my nose with regards Milband's general perceived hopelessness, and hoping he will grow in stature once he is in office.
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Agree
though when Ed is our only hope..? Shows how desperate we are. Though if not him who? Other Ed?
David, where are you now?
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:20 am

Very interesting last night
Paxman channelling de Niro, looking at the floor, or to the side, gurning away then fixing a stare on DaveEd

Dave uncomfortable with Paxo but rather in his element with the audience, Ed seemed to be more comfortable with Paxo than the people

No clear winner but an interesting start to the election. NicholasVanVeryExcited

Not sure about the bollocks with the speaker. How snide, bloody right it got put down, worryingly close though
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby gtw » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Pretty much on board with your assessment Nicholas. The look in Cameron's eyes... really was like 'I chose to do THIS instead of face off with Ed?'
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:51 pm

The more I think about the speaker ballot thing, the more annoyed I get.
Still it showed Hague in his true colours, tarnishing his commons epitaph
Last edited by NicholasVanWotsisface on Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby SPT » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:47 am

None of the Lib Dem placards round our way have the candidate's name on. Is that the same everywhere or is there something about our bloke..?
You can always outrun a golfer

http://www.soundsxp.com
Always changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/
SPT

Postby gtw » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:56 pm

A hunch re this Thursday's Leader's debate and the political fallout. All the debate so far has been about process/format, or how Miliband might cut through. But surely the most striking thing will be the sight of three talented female party leaders sharing the same platform? I don't think the commentariat has really paused to consider what the possible impact might be, not least on the 50.8% of the population that is not male. Roll into the equation that Plaid, SNP and Greens also form a loose alliance, I think the united front they could portray has the opportunity to really stop people in their tracks.

how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby cheesevendor » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:09 am

Last edited by cheesevendor on Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheesevendor

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:35 am

SPT wrote:None of the Lib Dem placards round our way have the candidate's name on. Is that the same everywhere or is there something about our bloke..?

Norman Lamb has his name all over his little orange diamonds.
But I guess he is one of the safest Lib Dems around
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby SPT » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:34 pm

NicholasVanWotsisface wrote:
SPT wrote:None of the Lib Dem placards round our way have the candidate's name on. Is that the same everywhere or is there something about our bloke..?

Norman Lamb has his name all over his little orange diamonds.
But I guess he is one of the safest Lib Dems around

Clegg is saying the reason the polls have him behind here is that they only asked about party, so he missed out on name recognition. Perhaps he needs to run off some new placards.

Norms is a bit grumpy, but OK I reckon.
You can always outrun a golfer

http://www.soundsxp.com
Always changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/
SPT

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:15 am

Caught up with the leaders debate. I can see why Cameron insisted on it being it that format, the opposition just bickered among themselves. I think the bit that left the biggest impression was poor Ed with his hand up saying allow me to come back on that over and over again while everyone, including the chair ignored him.
Not seen the fallout/feedback (busy old easter, In-laws down etc) I would guess Cameron relaitively unchanged, Ed down slightly, Nigel, not sure, he said the same thing over and over again (as ever) maybe increased slightly, Nick, down slightly, Nicola increased her polling with that, I would think, not sure the other two really matter in the big scheme of things but Green's up slightly and Party of Wales down slightly.
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby cheesevendor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:09 pm

Last edited by cheesevendor on Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheesevendor

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:46 am

Non doms thing was interesting. Nice to see Ed squared on the front foot for once.
NicholasVanWotsisface

PreviousNext

Return to General