Scottish independence

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Should Scotland Stay in the UK?

In
52%
Out
48%

Total votes : 21

Re: Scottish independence

Postby bancroftboy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:13 pm

deathorglory wrote:
Westminster saying they will not enter into a currency union is more laughable. It's a campaign tactic and like the rest of the scare stories - it's not working. Darling himself would not answer either what his "plan-b" would be for Scotland if we do vote yes. This is just one example of Westminster deliberately keeping things hazy by refusing to negotiate pre-referendum.

I am gladly ignorant go the whole debate because I really don't care one way or the other, however every time this comes up I do wonder why the yes people would think that the British government would enter into a currency union with a sovereign state that makes its own political and economic decisions when they have spent the last 20 years vehemently resisting any temptation to do so (it would appear rightly)
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
bancroftboy

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:50 am

deathorglory wrote:
Wendelin of Trier wrote:Alex 'oooh im going to walk out from behind the podium thingy and stand in front of you to show you im sincere an that' salmond is just after a victory for himself here, and not much else in my view. The plan b stuff on currency is laughable. And when in doubt, mention Norway.
I think Scotland would suffer from a yes vote, i think we all would.
Putting to one side the hazy 'we'll work something out dont you worry' nature of his ideas, I watched both televised debates on STV and the BBC and Salmond came over during both as somebody not to trust.

Alex Salmond has campaigned for Scottish independence for over 40 years. He is not in this for personal glory. It's not about Salmond away, the question is Should Scotland be an independent country? You say he came across as someone not to be trusted in the debates, when he was debating with Darling! Given his track record, I know who I'd be more likely to trust.

Westminster saying they will not enter into a currency union is more laughable. It's a campaign tactic and like the rest of the scare stories - it's not working. Darling himself would not answer either what his "plan-b" would be for Scotland if we do vote yes. This is just one example of Westminster deliberately keeping things hazy by refusing to negotiate pre-referendum.

Why not mention Norway? A prosperous country of similar size who also have large oil resources, seems pretty reasonable to me.

The length of a campaign is not a measure of its integrity.
Its fine to mention Norway. The problem I had when I watched the TV debates was that it was repeated with absolutely zero detail. Just simply "Look at Norway". Well, yes, fine. But how do you think you are going to go about achieving that for Scotland?
Its the airy, 'we can probably do it, can't we?' attitude which, if i was voting, would scare me slightly.
The other thing I have noticed is the aggression of an awful lot of the 'yes' campaigners. Did you hear the interview on womans hour this morning for example?
Perhaps i'm just cautious by nature. I'm certainly not nationalistic. If I lived in Scotland, I would be voting to stay as part of the UK.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Singing Bear » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:07 am

deathorglory wrote:
Singing Bear wrote:As an Englishman living in Wales, I'd just like to say that it is imperative for Britain to remain united. We're all too small on our own.

The fact that Scotland could be a successful independent country is not up for debate. Both sides agree that it could.

That's a lot of wishful thinking, which doesn't make it necessarily true. My feeling is that they would be mistaken on that score.
Singing Bear

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:40 am

Getting a bit bored now

to misquote

A democracy gets the government they deserve

(look at what we will be left with)

Let em if they wanna. But it would be a pain in the arse.

Give their share of the debt and a week or two to set their own currency up, and passport office (then we will see who is behind in processing applications, mainly from Americans whose great grandparents tried haggis once), and DVLA (what will we do if Wales gets the same idea?), benefits agency, tax office and the other 176 or so public bodies. then let them get on with it

Russia will annex them in a few years anyway (if they did we would really threaten to tighten those sanctions)
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby gtw » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:23 am

This is a good article by George Monbiot.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... f-all-hope

Go for it Scotland.
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby Hebrides Zimbo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:53 pm

Whatever will be will be . Downside is , one way or another there'll be whole lot of unhappy, finger pointing people for years to come . Scotland never did do the did keep calm bit !
Set sail on those turquoise days
Hebrides Zimbo

Postby deathorglory » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:25 pm

NicholasVanWotsisface wrote:Getting a bit bored now

to misquote

A democracy gets the government they deserve

(look at what we will be left with)

Let em if they wanna. But it would be a pain in the arse.

Give their share of the debt and a week or two to set their own currency up, and passport office (then we will see who is behind in processing applications, mainly from Americans whose great grandparents tried haggis once), and DVLA (what will we do if Wales gets the same idea?), benefits agency, tax office and the other 176 or so public bodies. then let them get on with it

Russia will annex them in a few years anyway (if they did we would really threaten to tighten those sanctions)

This whole post is just laughable. A week or two? Share of the debt but not of our currency? Russia? What?
deathorglory

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:25 pm

We will all be eating kievs soon I tells you
Haggis Kievs
Crimea river big boy
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Actually I don't think I am bored with this
A Chinese colleague said in my country this would not happen
So vote away wildlings. I just hope you don't go
But if you doo so be it. Democracy will have its way and makes One Direction the Best Band of last year or something like that

Mind you the Russians are coming
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby cheesevendor » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:11 pm

Last edited by cheesevendor on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheesevendor

Postby Hebrides Zimbo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:39 am

As an insider looking out , all I can say is HELP !! What a crock of bullshit this has become . St Kilda is becoming more and more appealing . And the Russians ain't heard of it , right ?
Set sail on those turquoise days
Hebrides Zimbo

Postby cheesevendor » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:22 pm

Last edited by cheesevendor on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheesevendor

Postby NicholasVanWotsisface » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Really? I am more worried you thought I meant it,...
NicholasVanWotsisface

Postby cheesevendor » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:04 pm

Last edited by cheesevendor on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheesevendor

Postby bancroftboy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:59 pm

Actually Cheesevendor that's the first bit of sense I have seen on the subject in months. All nationalism is bollocks, and if Scottish people think that becoming 'independent' will stop them being fucked by the globalised capitalist economy then they are bonkers.
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
bancroftboy

PreviousNext

Return to General