Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby bancroftboy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:34 pm

I always quite liked DYLRM because it was the one I saw a lot of the gestation period for, it was a great time for me particularly seeing the band a lot and it will always have a place in my affections. There's only really Canvey and Waving Flags I'm not too keen on and both have very positive connotations for other reasons. In my mind it almost goes without saying that its not in the same league as Decline and OS mainly as discussed because its missing that BSPNess, it really was an attempt to be successful. I suppose my point is that people have always been too hard on that album because it followed two classics, but compared to other bands it was great.

My piss break was Please Stand Up
Valhalla Dancehall is shit
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
User avatar
bancroftboy
 
Posts: 2956
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:08 pm
Location: supine

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby Skinku » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:08 pm

Please Stand Up is great I can have a piss and get a pint.
That's John Torode!
User avatar
Skinku
 
Posts: 3100
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:23 pm
Location: At the back

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby gtw » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:56 pm

1 BSP
2 Gary Numan
3 Morrissey
how's it going to end?
User avatar
gtw
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:51 am
Location: an attack ship on fire off the shoulder of Orion

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby TheAlex » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:57 pm

TheAlex wrote:25 British Sea Power
25 Mostly Autumn
16 Feeder

Which makes BSP top on alphabetical order!

I'd guess my biggest gap was David Mead in 2004 and again in 2011 - 7 years and 9 months. Both times he was supporting Fountains of Wayne. If I go and see Alfa 9 next month they'll beat that, I last saw them in 2005. Actually, Giant Drag will beat it next month - last saw in 2005.


5 years on I have a clear leader:

41 British Sea Power
36 Mostly Autumn
24 Feeder

With no challengers for the top 3:

10 The Tonics
8 Teenage Fanclub
8 James
8 Alfa 9
7 Delays
7 Slowdive
7 God is an Astronaut

If I start to list lower it includes too many of my not-favourite bands. I'd prefer to list the bands I never thought I'd see and was delighted to see once.

I didn't go to that Alfa 9 gig I mentioned, so they became an even bigger gap when I saw them last month. 13th December 2005 to 16th May 2018 - a gap of 12.5 years. I was quite surprised considering they're from my hometown.
User avatar
TheAlex
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:06 pm
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby pomfob » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:27 pm

pomfob wrote:In descending order...

The Fall (about 60 times, probably more)
British Sea Power (in the 40s)
I Like Trains (30 - odd)

An honourable mention should be made of AC Temple, who I must have seen at least 20 times from the mid 80s to mid 90s because they were the support act of choice for anything a bit noisy.


Not changed much on 5 years...it's now

British Sea Power - 108 & counting.
The Fall - 85 and not.
iLiKETRAiNS - still 30 odd.

Esper Scout may have beaten iLT, or at least be of a similar number. ES have split up now though :(

I've seen lots of bands 10+ times now.
Last edited by pomfob on Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
User avatar
pomfob
 
Posts: 1788
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: Where the one eyed bear is king

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby TheAlex » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:38 pm

I'm wondering if it was 5 years ago when I said I didn't realise members of Redjetson were in iLiKETRAiNS. Whenever I found that out I wanted to see iLiKETRAiNS, but I still haven't. Coincidentally I was listening to Redjetson today. It's coincidence after coincidence in this thread after my Alfa 9 coincidence in the previous post.
User avatar
TheAlex
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:06 pm
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby Blackout » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:36 am

I can't actually remember when Ian from Redjetson joined ILT, in my head it was about 5 years ago which probably means it was much longer in real life. I'm presuming he still is, we'll find out on the 24th June.

As for my list (cue spreadsheet) my top three have not changed from my post on the first page of this thread - I've seen British Sea Power quite a lot more times since then, let's just say the tumblr page in my signature is currently preparing for a major update possibly some time later this year or early next year. The bands at 2 and 3 (Air Cav and Puressence) remain inactive but will hold those spots for a year or two, maybe. There's a bit of a tussle going on right now for the number four spot though.

me in 2013 wrote:ILT are my only other half century (53 - that does include some where they supported BSP and a couple where Air Cav supported them) but there are around 25ish bands I've seen 20 to 40 times; I seem to either get bored with them or they split up / fizzle out after that.


The low level of ILT activity over the past five years has taken me to 59. To be honest I'm surprised they've even done that many in that time, but the list does not lie (and there are entries for individual gigs so I could check if I had nothing better to do). Their fourth place is therefore now shared by Half Man Half Biscuit, who have been slowly creeping up the ranks owing to their strategy of doing about 7-10 gigs a year (of which I tend to do about 5). Biscuits will go ahead tomorrow with my 60th at Kentish Town Forum; ILT will rejoin them on 60 two weeks later at Meltdown Southbank. At present I have tickets for 2 further Biscuits gigs (though may not be going to one of them) and no more Trains on the horizon, so unless they get their fingers out they're going to lose that 4th place properly. Other changes since 2013: 65daysofstatic up to 7th place (42 times), and an imminent (but as yet unannounced) batch of Twilight Sad activity could crack them into my top ten (currently 12th on 39). There are now over 40 bands I've seen more than 20 times (and over 100 I've seen 10+ times). And yes I only know all this because I really love spreadsheets.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
User avatar
Blackout
 
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:02 pm
Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby TheAlex » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:52 pm

I'm glad you're updating your blog. I remember checking it for The Sugarmill gig I missed two years ago - the only time BSP have played near home since I first saw them in 2003 and I missed it. I actually met someone who went at the Alfa 9 gig I mentioned above, and he said the crowd didn't get into it, but the band were really good.

I keep meaning to pop my spreadsheet in a database so it automatically calculates everything, including average miles travelled per band (I suppose I could do it in Excel). The distance would get complicated when I travel to see multiple bands - like if I travel because of all 3 bands, do I divide the distance by 3? The furthest away I've seen BSP (Paris) would be 0, because I was in Paris to see someone else. I guess the reason I haven't done this is because I have more important things to do!

I'm glad I have this record anyway - it's great to jog my memory sometimes. Initially I started writing one-line reviews for a website (most of the first 5ish years of reviews are gone thanks to a corrupt file, but I still have the bands and dates).

I updated the spreadsheet for the first time in months when I bumped this the other day, so I had to remind myself of gigs by Googling photos and videos. How did I forget The DSM IV supporting BSP in Liverpool? It all came back when I saw a picture.
User avatar
TheAlex
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:06 pm
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby flatland juz » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:26 pm

1. BSP
2. Julian Cope or Robyn Hitchcock, not sure
3. Robyn Hitchcock or Julian Cope, not sure
4. Lots of Jazz
flatland juz
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:34 am

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby Blackout » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:59 am

TheAlex wrote:I'm glad you're updating your blog. I remember checking it for The Sugarmill gig I missed two years ago - the only time BSP have played near home since I first saw them in 2003 and I missed it. I actually met someone who went at the Alfa 9 gig I mentioned above, and he said the crowd didn't get into it, but the band were really good.


That won't be in the update because I didn't go to that one either. Not technically "local" for me but 10-15 years ago we used to go to the Sugarmill quite a lot, most of the bands I liked played there (though never BSP, the only time I have ever seen them in Stoke was Staffs Uni way back in Oct 03) and I think in those days there was a train at a reasonable time for getting back to Manchester. I must have been doing something else though cos I'd have found a way to go if not. (checks old newsboost for Sugarmill date) ah yes, spreadsheet tells me I was watching The Longcut (10th in my list, 41 times, I guess I thought they needed the points more :-) )
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
User avatar
Blackout
 
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:02 pm
Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby angle shades » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:23 pm

My top three are . . .

BSP (40ish)
Fatima Mansions (10-15ish)
The Pogues, Super Furry Animals or one of several indiepop bands (8ish)

And do I like Do You Like Rock Music? Yes, I do like Do You Like Rock Music. I can't understand why people dislike it. To be honest the only BSP song I'm not keen on is Electrical Kittens (Good title though.)
Where's me jumper Jerome?
angle shades
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:38 pm
Location: notnum

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby TheAlex » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:15 pm

Blackout wrote:
TheAlex wrote:I'm glad you're updating your blog. I remember checking it for The Sugarmill gig I missed two years ago - the only time BSP have played near home since I first saw them in 2003 and I missed it. I actually met someone who went at the Alfa 9 gig I mentioned above, and he said the crowd didn't get into it, but the band were really good.


That won't be in the update because I didn't go to that one either. Not technically "local" for me but 10-15 years ago we used to go to the Sugarmill quite a lot, most of the bands I liked played there (though never BSP, the only time I have ever seen them in Stoke was Staffs Uni way back in Oct 03) and I think in those days there was a train at a reasonable time for getting back to Manchester. I must have been doing something else though cos I'd have found a way to go if not. (checks old newsboost for Sugarmill date) ah yes, spreadsheet tells me I was watching The Longcut (10th in my list, 41 times, I guess I thought they needed the points more :-) )

I don't know why I made that assumption, but I've kicked myself for it already. I remember missing a couple thanks to holidays, but I went around 5 years without seeing a gig at The Sugarmill, which is ridiculous considering it's my main local venue. I think a lot of bands miss out Stoke because it doesn't have an O2 venue.
User avatar
TheAlex
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:06 pm
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby Blackout » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:44 am

angle shades wrote:Yes, I do like Do You Like Rock Music. I can't understand why people dislike it.


Short answer: highly anticipated follow up to two astonishing albums, turned up about a year late with too much filler and I dislike the production, even the songs on it which are great live sound terrible.

TheAlex wrote:I don't know why I made that assumption, but I've kicked myself for it already. I remember missing a couple thanks to holidays, but I went around 5 years without seeing a gig at The Sugarmill, which is ridiculous considering it's my main local venue. I think a lot of bands miss out Stoke because it doesn't have an O2 venue.


Seems there's a train at 20 past 11 these days I could get, but as you say nobody plays there. As you know I am the sort of person who will happily travel to another relatively nearby town if there's a gig I want to go to, and I like a lot of bands, but last went to a gig in Stoke in October 2010 (Exit Calm at a venue called the Underground) and we used to go to a semi-regular shoegaze/psych night at the Fat Cat in 08-09. And about the third gig I ever went to in my life was The Damned at Shellys in Longton in 1987.

I get the bit about not having an O2 for larger gigs (though again, why not?) but I really don't get why there are no (or very few) smaller gigs there. Out of interest I looked at Ents24 and it's all either tribute acts, the occasional touring act you've heard of at the Sugarmill or local unknowns. Most of the bands I like are at the level who would probably play the Sugarmill anyway size wise but (that one BSP gig aside - pretty funny that you who live in Stoke and me who pretty much goes to every northern gig both managed to miss it) they just don't. Weird.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
User avatar
Blackout
 
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:02 pm
Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby Mr Bod » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:18 pm

R.E.M
B.S.P
Pixies


and most of them pixies gigs are from the first time around cos yes i'm that old,.
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
User avatar
Mr Bod
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Postby Blackout » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:57 am

Mr Bod wrote:and most of them pixies gigs are from the first time around cos yes i'm that old,.


Most of us are round here these days :)
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
User avatar
Blackout
 
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:02 pm
Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests