Stoke, 14th October 2022

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Stoke, 14th October 2022

Postby Slim » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:34 am

Encouragingly, a much better night than my previous Sea Power gig at Cullercoats. No Woody due to COVID, but Tom White from Electric Soft Parade had been parachuted in and I must say, he did a sterling job. No Abi either though this wasn't mentioned at all either at the gig, or in the band's various social media posts leading up to the tour - unless I missed one, but I don't think so. I wonder if this is the new norm?

As usual, a great atmosphere. They opened with Who's In Control? - perhaps a nod to current events, perhaps not. The new songs went down a storm again, especially Doppelganger and Green Goddess. For me though the highlight was Darker Skies which for some reason I can't quite put my finger on was magical last night. Lucifer though seemed to have lost some of its potency.. not sure exactly why. Maybe it suffered from Abi's non-participation, though I have heard it sans viola a few times now.

Tom had trouble with a snare drum, which gave rise to some mischievous banter from Noble. It was replaced after a few minutes. Interestingly he's a very powerful, technical drummer which I don't think I'd have guessed from the Electric Soft Parade tunes that I gave a listen this morning. He even helped himself to a bit of a drum solo at the end of Remember Me.

Support band Loose Articles were a lot of fun. A spirited racket. I'm looking forward to seeing them again on the tour, though I don't think I'd buy one of their records. I feel certain John Peel would have been a fan if they'd been around in the early '80s.

Slim

Re: Stoke, 14th October 2022

Postby Heartland » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:58 pm

Heartening to hear that the sub drummer is a good lad.

Anybody itk about when Woody will be fit to play again?

Looking forward to Nottingham next Sunday
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Re: Stoke, 14th October 2022

Postby Slim » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:51 pm

Well - the band have just confirmed that Woody's not going to be well enough for the rest of the tour unfortunately. Whether Abi is attending is not known, to me anyway.
Slim

Return to British Sea Power