Cullercoats, 6th August 2022

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Cullercoats, 6th August 2022

Postby Slim » Mon May 30, 2022 1:30 pm

Bit of an odd choice of venue, I'd have thought. 200 capacity. Damon Albarn played there a few years ago.

My brother lives half a mile away. I shall attend.

Slim

Re: Cullercoats, 6th August 2022

Postby Heartland » Mon May 30, 2022 8:56 pm

I’m in
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Postby pomfob » Tue May 31, 2022 10:31 am

Bigger than the Trades in Hebden Bridge, but not by much.

Tickets booked, hotel in Whitley Bay booked. I do like it when they play venues off the beaten track.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Mr Bod » Tue May 31, 2022 6:35 pm

Sadly not for me but yes a day out by the sea and around the Toon is always a top one...
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:37 pm

Well, I'm back from my native North-East now, and I'm sorry to say - it wasn't a good one, not for me anyway.

For one thing, the sound was over-loud and a little bit rough. Some of Yan's vocals were distorting my eardrums. It was actually unpleasant at times and I wished I'd brought ear plugs. I think they may have eclipsed the Motorhead gig I attended at a similar-sized venue in Middlesbrough in 1978. Lanterns on the Lake had brilliant sound (and by the way they were worth a trip up north by themselves - a really powerful and emotional set) so that was a bit of a shame.

Secondly - some of Hamilton's vocals were way off. He's never been (dare I say) the most tuneful singer but he undoubtedly hit a few wrong notes, and chose some alternative vocal melodies in No Lucifer that might have been considered courageous in avant-garde jazz. I know that a replacement was parachuted in for a gig or two recently, so maybe he's recovering from illness. His bass-playing was fine anyway.

And I'm sorry to say that I had the distinct impression that Yan was inebriated in the later part of the set. His vocals were slow and laboured later on and he looked a little bit out of it at times. Curiously, he was wearing an ankle-length robe.

On the more positive side , despite all the above the gig had the usual joyous spirit and rapport with the crowd. Everyone enjoyed themselves, me included. I'm not complaining but they were a long way off their best. Looking forward to the gigs in October.
Slim

Postby Sophie_Fevvers » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:49 pm

I'm new here! Shame it sounds like the forum is dying.

Been following BSP since around 2007.

I loved the gig! I couldn't believe they played the Crescent Club, I love those old social clubs and this one is special as it was my late grandma's favourite place to go when visiting the coast.

Anyway totally agree Yan was pissed and he kept getting the words wrong but it didn't really matter to me. It was just nice to be able to get to the front without a fight, and I've never seen them so close up before. Probably my favourite gig for those reasons. I've seen them a lot more pissed; I'm sure Noble was mortal drunk when they played outside Concorde 2 in Brighton years back, vaguely recall him abandoning his guitar to skateboard side to side across the stage repeatedly. All part of the fun! I just appreciate that they play small venues still cos they don't need to and not many bands would. Very grateful to them for that, as a fan.
Sophie_Fevvers

Postby Heartland » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:45 am

This is why it’s never a good idea to attend these gigs without a bucketful inside you.

We turned up early, to locate the venue and well, that Steelmakers’ Blond in the downstairs room was very tasty.

Yan’s clobber did look rather strange; wonder if he’s getting that Kendo lark?
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Postby Sophie_Fevvers » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:06 pm

I took it as him dressing like St Cuthbert or Aidan, the duct tape around the waist suggested it was an impromptu decision maybe inspired by the view of the Priory?!

Ah better to get wrecked and not take it all to seriously. Couldn't believe he forgot the words to Waving Flags though of all songs, surely they're burnt into his brain cells by now. That blink of an eye moment of recognition then he picked it right back up shows he's a pro!
Sophie_Fevvers

Postby pomfob » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:50 pm

I think the most out of it I've seen Yan was when they played the Ramsbottom festival in 2014. Hello Yorkshire to a solidly Lancastrian crowd, constantly looking at Hammy for cues (clues?) to the lyrics, and cracked his skull chucking his guitar around. Oops.

I enjoyed Cullercoats, but it was hardly a vintage performance. Nice to have the full line up, Abi is a bit of a rarity since the pandemic.

Roll on the festival in a couple of weeks and the October tour.
pomfob

Postby Sophie_Fevvers » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:49 pm

Gutted to miss the festival but I already booked a break elsewhere before it was announced.

I was pleased to see they programmed Daniel Wakeford. I used to work at a SEND college in Brighton and he performed at one of our events, he's brilliant. I hope he gets a good crowd. Who else is playing that you're looking forward to catching?
Sophie_Fevvers

Postby pomfob » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:35 am

Sophie_Fevvers wrote:Gutted to miss the festival but I already booked a break elsewhere before it was announced.

I was pleased to see they programmed Daniel Wakeford. I used to work at a SEND college in Brighton and he performed at one of our events, he's brilliant. I hope he gets a good crowd. Who else is playing that you're looking forward to catching?

I was going to say Low, but sadly not now.

Apart from that, Haiku Salut, the various Stephen Black vehicles (at least Sweet Baboo and Group Listening), The Bug Club, Bedroom... there's probably more who've slipped my mind at the moment.
pomfob

Return to British Sea Power