Sea Power...

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Sea Power...

Postby pomfob » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:27 am

Sophie_Fevvers wrote:I was waiting at the bar at the Cullercoats gig and was eavesdropping as I was there alone. A couple of men at the bar were talking about how they were in a huff that they changed their name and almost didn't buy tickets. Is this a widespread opinion? I prefer the old name and think it's a shame they had to change, but seems a bit dramatic to almost boycott them for it. Made me think if they didn't get it then they were likely part of the problem for the change in the first place...

Nail on the head with the last sentence.

There certainly was a bit of a furore when the name change was announced, but the more people moaned, the more I could see why the band felt they had to drop British. And then people found something else to moan about, as they do.

It was a year ago on Monday the name changed. No one seemed to notice, and that's surely a good thing.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:37 am

I should add most Sea Power fans I know aren't actually that arsed about the name change anyway. Certainly not enough to boycott the band.
pomfob

Postby Heartland » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:38 am

These two blokes at the bar…were they bald and wearing glasses?

Seriously, if Sea Power feel more comfortable having dropped the British, that’s up to them. As long as the gigs are still a massively uplifting experience, I’ll keep going.
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Postby Sophie_Fevvers » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:56 am

I find it weird that you can be really into the band but not get their decision, the two don't mesh at all.

My whole adult life since I got into politics I've been ashamed to be British. Obviously there's been good done throughout history but for the most part it's just ugly and cruel. But BSP were able to articulate poetically what I do love above the country because it really isn't all bad. They made it feel ok to be British by teasing out the beauty of the Isles as they'd call it. See I can't really articulate it myself with words, which is why I find it so hard trying to explain to people why they are so important. I think it's one of those things you get or you don't. I like to think I get it and it definitely has something to do with Britishness of a different kind, which I can't explain at all, but it's always there.
Sophie_Fevvers

Postby Sophie_Fevvers » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:58 am

Heartland wrote:These two blokes at the bar…were they bald and wearing glasses?

Seriously, if Sea Power feel more comfortable having dropped the British, that’s up to them. As long as the gigs are still a massively uplifting experience, I’ll keep going.

No they were actually canny young which was what surprised me!

Uplifting is the word!
Sophie_Fevvers

Postby pomfob » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:43 pm

Sophie_Fevvers wrote:I find it weird that you can be really into the band but not get their decision, the two don't mesh at all.

My whole adult life since I got into politics I've been ashamed to be British. Obviously there's been good done throughout history but for the most part it's just ugly and cruel. But BSP were able to articulate poetically what I do love above the country because it really isn't all bad. They made it feel ok to be British by teasing out the beauty of the Isles as they'd call it. See I can't really articulate it myself with words, which is why I find it so hard trying to explain to people why they are so important. I think it's one of those things you get or you don't. I like to think I get it and it definitely has something to do with Britishness of a different kind, which I can't explain at all, but it's always there.

You're doing a pretty decent job of articulating why the British bit in Sea Power was both a good & bad thing.

Blimey, the forum hasn't been this lively in years. Apart from just after the name change, that is.
pomfob

Postby Sophie_Fevvers » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:46 pm

I just got my hands on Do it for Your Mum and the Decline book this week, so I'm sure I'll have plenty to say. I have no one to talk to about the band as no one I know is into them. I never even knew this forum existed, I'm always late to the party. Maybe we can try and revive it. Also I'm 3 months from submitting my PhD so the procrastination is off the scale at the minute, I'm actively looking for other things to do rather just being distracted by stuff.
Sophie_Fevvers

Postby Anticitizen1 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:31 am

What's in a name, eh? When anyone asks you what gig your going to or what you're listening to you can now say Sea Power and when you get a blank look you can say they used to be British Sea Power and wait for them to attempt to change their expression.
Seriously though, if you don't like the name just don't buy the merchandise. ( The shopkeeper I'm sure would want me to remind you to please buy the merchandise...)
Anticitizen1

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:48 am

Sophie_Fevvers wrote:I find it weird that you can be really into the band but not get their decision, the two don't mesh at all.

My whole adult life since I got into politics I've been ashamed to be British.

Well I think you may have approached the crux of the matter there, not everyone is ashamed to be British.

I didn't like the name change. I was never attracted by the presence of the word "British" in the band's name and I can understand why it and the word "power" in the same breath could have been seen as antagonistic. But removing it undoubtedly also turned out to be antagonistic unfortunately; it's understandable if folks take it as a slight against their nationality. Most fans of the band are British, of course. There's nothing inherently wrong with being proud of your country, even as a nation state, whether or not others feel the same way.

Anyway I was never going to boycott the band, it's a year ago, it's the same band after all and I'm not going to get drawn into arguments about it now.
Slim

Previous

Return to British Sea Power