Happy Birthday To Do You Like Rock Music?

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Happy Birthday To Do You Like Rock Music?

Postby pomfob » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:23 am

Yes, today is the day, 13 years ago the third LP was released into the wild after a long, rather tortuous recording process in Canada, Cornwall and the Czech Republic. It turned some folks off, it pulled others in. It's the one that made me think that it was perfectly reasonable to fly across the Atlantic to see them at the end of their long North American tour. DYLRM? is now a officially a sulky teenager, so show it some love. It'll hate that.

Here's a thread from our back pages from around its release

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2741

Which is to a large extent people hoping it's not as rubbish as Open Season. Not my opinion, I hasten to add. OS is very much my personal favourite of the bunch, but don't tell the others.

Also, the impact that The Great Skua was to have on us really wasn't appreciated in 2008. If that doesn't prove the past is a different country, I don't know what.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Re: Happy Birthday To Do You Like Rock Music?

Postby Heartland » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:54 pm

Absolutely loved DYLRM from first hearing. Marvellous stuff.

And Skua. Fuck aye. #SkuaChoir
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Re: Happy Birthday To Do You Like Rock Music?

Postby O Larsen Beret » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:10 am

I don't think I knew this forum existed when DYLRM was released. I was still wondering what happened to the previous forum. DYLRM is probably my least favourite BSP album but it contains some of my favourite BSP songs. Swapping a couple of tracks from the Zeus EP (Bear included) would have elevated the album a fair whack, though that's part of the magic of BSP - it makes tracks like Bear more special methinks.

Open Season seems to be looked on more favourably now than ten years ago. I've always enjoyed it, and it has become even better with time.

O Larsen Beret

Return to British Sea Power