BSP get the Horn in St Albans, Nov 9th

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: BSP get the Horn in St Albans, Nov 9th

Postby redc » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Well that was a bit of a surprise: didn't expect to have my ears blown off on a very wet and windy night in St Albans after a not particularly pleasant drive round a 120 degrees of the M25, but the boys and girl delivered an excellent, vigorous, relatively Ham-heavy* 90 minute set that largely seemed to follow recent trends. [*Coincidence? Perhaps H&A should release more side project material..]

Small, dark, crowded, hot and sweaty back room of a pub, it was the loudest I've heard the band in years, and about the clearest - always nice to be able to easily discern both Nobby and Abby. Drums and bass had a bit of oomph too, even if the latter seemed to wander a bit off-piste once or twice (not the only one).

Biggest surprise was my least favourite live BSP song to date being just about the star of the night - as confirmed by the usually furred-up white bear enjoying a rare night off, giving a 'mmwww' chef's finger kiss at the end of HWIEFMWH. Never heard that one with such aggressive screeching guitars from the start, and with Hammy's voice toughened up to match.

''Riff' of the night went roughly:

"Welcome to St Albans, our first time here, and possibly your's too."
"I met just met a friend who said the last time he was here he left vomit in each of the urinals."
"Thanks, Nobby, that was a beautiful story."

Anyhow set list in approximate order [now edited]:

Machineries of Joy
Who's In Control
Bad Bohemian
What You're doing
How Will I Ever Find My Way Home
True Adventures
Praise For Whatever
Lights Out
Remember Me
No Lucifer
Pelican
Keep On Trying

Larsen B
Carrion
Waving Flags
Skua
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby Skinku » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Marvelous reportage Red C
Good info for those unable
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby Mr Bod » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:16 pm

I think it may have been Lights Out then Remember Me as I remember chatting with Pomfob just after lights that we may not get much dancing, then we did...
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby redc » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:01 pm

..and according to Pomfob's posting of a copy of a stage list on Facebook, Lucifer, then Pelcican then Keep on Trying (the latter now dropping to bottom position on my live BSP preference list in place of HWIEFMWH).
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Previous

Return to British Sea Power