Nantwich Words & Music Festival 13/10

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Nantwich Words & Music Festival 13/10

Postby Blackout » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:20 pm

http://wordsandmusicfestival.com/

A sort of "week of separately ticketed gigs" type festival, British Sea Power play the Civic Hall on the Saturday night.

Little local festival run by a lovely man called Nigel (along with his wife, the singer Thea Gilmore) who was the roaming guitar teacher for Cheshire schools in the 80s and therefore actually briefly taught me a few chords, though I really wanted to play bass. He also lent me his copy of The Undertones' singles collection All Wrapped Up which my mum told him off for because the sleeve image was a lady wrapped up in meat, and to be honest it was pretty vile. He has also occasionally done production work for my friend John Bramwell. Weird how our lives catch up every few years but then there weren't really many interesting people in mid Cheshire when we were younger and probably still aren't.

Anyway I think this calls for a song. About Nantwich. Ish.
http://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/trouble-ov ... -no-tunes/
And if you're the sort of person who gets unnaturally excited about confluences of more than one Biscuits reference you'll love who's playing said festival the following day :)

I don't know why the hell the Biscuits haven't played there actually, looks like their kind of venue.

Anyway for anyone thinking of staying over: Nantwich is quite small and quite posh, so there are basically no hotels that we normal folk can afford, the nearest being a premier inn about a mile out of town. It's also only about 4 miles from Crewe which is not small and extremely not-posh so there may be more options there.

And no this isn't going in the summer festivals thread because October isn't fucking summer is it?
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Re: Nantwich Words & Music Festival 13/10

Postby pomfob » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:11 pm

Evening all. 'Crack research team' here. Jesus fucking Christ (oh god no), the hotels in Nantwich are phenomenally expensive, as Blackout said. Had to check but...fucking hell. I'd forgotten how posh certain bits of Cheshire are.

ANYHOOOOO

Crewe is much cheaper. So cheap, I've booked a family room in the Travelodge (so spare bed if someone wants in on that). Last trains* from the 'twich to Crewe are 2343 & 0007, which is handy. Hopefully the group won't be playing a ridiculously late set, and the Civic Hall doesn't look too far from the railway station. Winner all round then, I think.

*The more rail-inclined among you will be thinking 'ah, ah, but the timetables change in May, don't they?' Well yes they do, but fingers crossed they're not going to put the last train back by an hour or so...I'll check nearer the time.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Won't cost you much in a taxi anyway. I'm going to stick with my premier inn because Crewe is a shithole (I spent two years at sixth form college there, some of the best days of my life, but it's still a shithole). may even just cancel nearer the time and go home if timings are appropriate (there's a train back to Manchester at 22.55 so we'll see. I don't know why I am posting this in public to be honest.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby pomfob » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:50 am

Blackout wrote: I don't know why I am posting this in public to be honest.

It's think aloud or the equilvalent of writing a shopping list, I suppose.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Salian » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:53 am

Bum.

It's Salian Jnr Jnr's 16th Birthday that day and a on Friday I booked us a pair of tickets for Los Campesinos (his favourite band) in that London, for their 10 year anniversary first 2 albums special.
Salian

Return to British Sea Power