Birmingham Set List

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Birmingham Set List

Postby Facts Are Right » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Storming set. Blew away Kasabian next door in the other bit of the Academy especially No Lucifer. Yan made a comment about the Easy, Easy catch phrase & then said no one will use this one. They then played Keep On Trying (Sechs Freunde)!
Attachments
1-20170413_230151.jpg
1-20170413_230151.jpg (20.68 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
Facts Are Right

Re: Birmingham Set List

Postby Nurdled, by Astley » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:40 pm

No thread for the Brum gig for a week then two in a day!

Due to a family holiday, I couldn't make the Manchester show so did Birmingham instead (bringing back a fair few memories having lived there for five years far too many years ago) and a cracking night out it was too. As the setlist shows, a fair amount of the new record got a good airing, most of which sounded really good live. Older songs like 'Who's In Control?' and 'Waving Flags', while timely when they first appeared have only grown in relevance and urgency.

And again, which other bands can climax their main set with an instrumental - and carry the audience with them all the way?

Superb night. Must do it again sometime. Good to meet several familiar faces and relieve the Shop of some goods to lighten their trip home.
Nearly drowned on a learn to swim course.
Nurdled, by Astley

Postby Blackout » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:19 pm

Nurdled, by Astley wrote:And again, which other bands can climax their main set with an instrumental - and carry the audience with them all the way?

most of my favourite bands manage this quite well actually.

some of them even play their whole set without singing, IMAGINE THAT!! :) :)

(being mildly facetious aside, it was a fucking great gig. as in one of the best BSP gigs I have seen).
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby pomfob » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:54 pm

LOL from a fellow post-rock afficionado.

But yeah, just imagine the dullards who were playing next door doing something like Skua in front of their crowd.

Difficult, isn't it?
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby redc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:13 pm

It was my favourite BSP night out for a long while.

Although I didn't particularly enjoy the previous night in London - for subjective reasons - the band really seem to have upped quality levels live as much as they did in the track selecting*/recording/production of Let the Dancers. Have they simply taken lessons learned in the latter on the road with them, or might they have got producer Cam Blackwood involved with their live set?

At the pub beforehand, whilst standing outside having a smoke on my own, I overheard a bunch of middle-aged blokey Kasabian fans having a snigger over the fact that BSP fans are known for doing multiple gigs on a tour. Must be wonderful liking a band that seeing once is (more than) enough! Music obviously isn't a competitive sport, but I couldn't help thinking during Spirit oSL how many minds would be blown if the band next door had been playing that to their audience.

* I heard, indirectly, that manager Dave chose all the songs for the tour, thus by-passing what I believe to probably be the band's biggest weakness.
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby Blackout » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:26 pm

redc wrote:At the pub beforehand, whilst standing outside having a smoke on my own, I overheard a bunch of middle-aged blokey Kasabian fans having a snigger over the fact that BSP fans are known for doing multiple gigs on a tour.

ah, bless, probably just jealous of people who can count.
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby redc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:32 pm

I did interject that BSP were good enough to see multiple times, without - for health and safety reasons - in any way suggesting that other bands might not be*.

*Although people who CAN actually count may well have inferred as much.
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby Blackout » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Entirely subjective. Most of my mates have seen at least one band at least 50 times, numerous different bands, some of which I'd personally have little desire to see once (and I'm sure they feel similarly about some of my favourites). I do actually know even a couple of people who are or were big Kasabian fans from the early days, and used to do multiples (whether they still would now if their finances permitted which is sadly not the case I have no idea). I'd expect a band like that to have quite a few awaydayers.
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby pomfob » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Blackout wrote:Entirely subjective. Most of my mates have seen at least one band at least 50 times, numerous different bands, some of which I'd personally have little desire to see once (and I'm sure they feel similarly about some of my favourites). I do actually know even a couple of people who are or were big Kasabian fans from the early days, and used to do multiples (whether they still would now if their finances permitted which is sadly not the case I have no idea). I'd expect a band like that to have quite a few awaydayers.

I'd have thought one of the first signs of success for a band is when they start seeing repeat offenders in different towns. Why wouldn't you at least want to see a band you like more than once on the same tour, even if you couldn't actually do it?
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby TheAlex » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:41 pm

redc wrote:* I heard, indirectly, that manager Dave chose all the songs for the tour, thus by-passing what I believe to probably be the band's biggest weakness.

Picking setlists? I'd class it as one of their (many) strengths. I'd struggle to pick weaknesses actually.

pomfob wrote:I'd have thought one of the first signs of success for a band is when they start seeing repeat offenders in different towns. Why wouldn't you at least want to see a band you like more than once on the same tour, even if you couldn't actually do it?

Because most people aren't hardcore music lovers, and wouldn't even think about travelling outside their own city/town (if they live in one) to see a band. I wasn't interested in live music until I was 20, even though I liked music before then, but then one band changed all that and here I am hundreds of gigs later.
TheAlex

Postby redc » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:11 pm

TheAlex wrote:
redc wrote:* I heard, indirectly, that manager Dave chose all the songs for the tour, thus by-passing what I believe to probably be the band's biggest weakness.

Picking setlists? I'd class it as one of their (many) strengths. I'd struggle to pick weaknesses actually.

Yeah, I suppose they tend to make a decent fist of live selections - it's on record where their weakness (such as it is) is occasionally apparent.
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby LikeAnotherLanguage » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 pm

I took my friend Lewis (who had never listened to them before) to the Brum gig and he thought it was "Sex Grindr".

Cracking show though, I believe he enjoyed himself too.
LikeAnotherLanguage

Postby Nurdled, by Astley » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:49 pm

I was struck by the lack of swopping instruments that made the show flow better; wonder if this was a factor in either the intervention or the song selection. It is a shame about the Ham sandwiches, though.
Nearly drowned on a learn to swim course.
Nurdled, by Astley

Postby Facts Are Right » Sat May 06, 2017 4:24 pm

I was with a friend who hadn't seen them live before. He was flummoxed when the bears appeared - I nearly got trampled, but what a way to go!!
Facts Are Right

Postby James Morris » Sun May 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Facts Are Right wrote:I was with a friend who hadn't seen them live before. He was flummoxed when the bears appeared - I nearly got trampled, but what a way to go!!

Ha ha! Sounds like an excellent introduction to BSP!
Thanks for posting the set list- I was gutted to miss this one but was out of the country for the whole tour. Looks like a good night out.
James Morris

Return to British Sea Power