Box Set Alternative songs review

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Box Set Alternative songs review

Postby woosiep » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:45 pm

My cack-handed attempt of a review of the bonus CD of new and remixes on the new album. Feel free to correct any errors..

1. Warsaw Choir Gremlins; Instrumental with bird like noises and sheafs of white noise/ wave sounds. Thats it really.
2. dog ON dog; Starts off very soundtrackey with organ notes and a very whispery Yan vocal- "It takes a lot of love" quite atmospheric and pretty
3. You Sold Me Down The River; I think this track feels thematically in touch with the sentiment of the album - "All day, all night, its ok, its alright" I wonder if it may have been seen as a bit too overt for the album. Some nice Neil Young type guitar sounds near the end
4 Eaves; Now this one SOUNDS like the rest of the album. A big, open song with rousing chorus. Could have easily fitted on the record - perhaps needed a bit of work as there is no middle 8 or bridge or whatever to really make the song fly. Again some nice guitar work. Reminds me a bit of Please Stand Up. Hamilton vocal. "I was going to change the world but not today/So much of the world got in the way"
5. Somewhere; Short Hamilton vocal on this track, great lyrics about "getting out of this shithole" . Namechecks Cleator Moor in the same way HMHB would
6. ManMan ; I think I should know this one ( was it one of the ones previewed last summer?) Another Hamilton vocal and a lovely little song
7. South Westerlies. Instrumental looking for a vocal. VERY reminiscent of "Regret" era New Order with pushing bass and a chiming guitar. I think they get a bit sick of it as it ends suddenly straight into..
8. She`s A Pretty Bird; As has already been identified, a version of the traditional folk song Cuckoo. Great to see BSP trying their hand at something like this, acoustic guitars and a real Psych Folk feel.
9.Bonger; Short er experimental bit of ambient noise. Assume created on their Bonger modulator.
10 What You`re Doing (Radio Edit) Seeing as everyone LOVES this song, bit surprised it wasnt chosen (over Electrical Kittens) as the next track to be released for radio airplay. Really strong.
11. Matches (extended version) Presumably this is the version of Saint Jerome on the Double LP of the album. Great song but you all know that already.
12. NewNew World; Is this another we have heard before? Filmic piano sounds. "I hear a new world coming" must be a Joe Meek reference. Bit mad this ( shades of Louis) would like to hear live
13. Want to be Free; Slowed down /stripped back version of the album track. Abi on vocals. Doesn't really do it for me.
14. The Voice of Ivy Lee (Algorithm Mix) Bit of "dance remix" this one. Keeps the best elements of the song intact. The horns a a bit Sea of Brass. Lovely job.
15 Dont Let The Sun Get In The Way (ambient mix) VERY ambient, ie you cant tell what song it is. Reminiscent of the woozy electronica of Tim Hecker or Hauschka
16 Bad Bohemian (William Doyle Remix) My favourite of the remixes - built on the stage Intro tape loop, all stuttering vocals and jittery samples. Nice to hear the cornet on this which you cant really hear on the single version.
17. Alone Piano. No vocals but a lovely bit of Viola on this from Abi.

As always with these things its a bit of a curates egg - songs that just missed/didn't fit the album, unfinished tracks and studio larking about but this one is well worth a listen as a collection and it would be nice to hear some of these songs resurrected for future tours..
woosiep

Re: Box Set Alternative songs review

Postby Skinku » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:56 pm

I aint listening to it until I get bored of the album.
I like to see a brief summary though.
Ta and muchly.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby burghblue » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks for this woosiep. I dipped into this last night. Didn't give it a full detailed listen due to the intrusion of domestic life, but some of the tracks did jump out with some immediacy - Eaves, South Westerlies, Ivy Lee remix. I am amused to hear mention of Cleator Moor.
You're an absolute shower...
burghblue

Postby gcjh » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:40 pm

I listened to it on the drive to Manchester & thought it was interesting. I was trying to locate the track I didn't recognise from Leeds not realising until Tuesday that Tugboat was actually a Galaxie 500 song! It's been so long since I've listened to their stuff. Anyway, out came the G500 vinyl from the loft with great anticipation, Snowstorm being one of my favourites of all time, only to find my record needle has stopped working since it was last used 9 years ago!!!

Mammoth drive to the north of Scotland tomorrow so the box set will get a hammering along with Man of Aran & From the Sea......Maybe a bit of G500 on Spotify too.
gcjh

Postby burghblue » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:17 pm

gcjh, BSP's studio version of Tugboat is on Spotify. It's on The Compleat British Sea Power, Volume 1, along with their recently unearthed (and magnificent) version of G500's Strange.
You're an absolute shower...
burghblue

Postby James Morris » Sun May 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Thanks for the review, nice to hear a second opinion. Like others, I've been majoring on listening to the main album while going through the extras on long solo car trips. Quite enjoyed the demo of Praise for Whatever on the demo cd, with entirely different lyrics.
James Morris

Postby Brother Beck » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Is there any way to still purchase this box set? I have looked all over for it and can't find it for purchase anywhere. The best I can find is a deluxe vinyl, but I'm looking for the 4-disc CD version.
Brother Beck

Postby flatland juz » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Been digging Eaves lately, it's as sweet as a nut. Would be nice to hear live. In Louth.
flatland juz

Return to British Sea Power