Pretty Bird

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Pretty Bird

Postby atombowl65 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Really liking this. It reminds me of the medieval(ish) songs Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians recorded around Element of Light (Lady Waters, Black Crow Knows, Leopard etc).
atombowl65

Re: Pretty Bird

Postby pomfob » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 am

It is a trad. arr. tune. I'd previously heard it on Kristin Hersh's Murder, Misery & Then Goodnight CD, under the title The Cuckoo. What its provenance is, I leave to any members of the EFDSS amongst us.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Wicker Man » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:18 am

pomfob wrote:What its provenance is, I leave to any members of the EFDSS amongst us.

Hiyaaaaa!

Yes, it's a traditional English folk song and has been recorded under many titles all over the place - I think it might have been one of the tunes collected by Alan Lomax and Shirley Collins during their American road trip in the fifties and Shirley recorded a notable version of it (with a different tune) for her 'Sweet England' album in 1959.

Aye, Kristin Hersh's 'Cuckoo' is another good 'un (I think it's actually on 'Hips & Makers') and I also have versions by Anne Briggs, Pentangle, Hem, Laura Veirs and Richard Thompson, among others. I haven't heard this one yet because my box set has yet to arrive - I assume Hammy's singing it, or is it more like a follow-up to Yan's take on Leadbelly's 'Grey Goose'?

The 'Element of Light' reference makes it sound promising, anyway.
Wicker Man

Postby atombowl65 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:40 am

The 'Element of Light' reference makes it sound promising, anyway.

I have a tin ear and am often ridiculed for saying something sounds like something when it doesn't, so I wouldn't take my word for it. I thought Electrical Kittens sounded like In the Dance the Shaman Led by Icicle Works until I listened to it again and realised it didn't.
atombowl65

Postby atombowl65 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:55 am

To demonstrate my tin ear further I've just checked and I actually have the versions you mention by Richard Thompson, Hem, Kristin Hersh as well as John Renbourn and it turns out it's also apparently the starting point for Avocet by Bert Jansch which I spent most of last year listening to.
atombowl65

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:35 pm

atombowl65 wrote:it's also apparently the starting point for Avocet by Bert Jansch which I spent most of last year listening to.

I was sat on the sofa playing 'Kingfisher' on me guitar yesterday.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby atombowl65 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:42 pm

I can't get Kingfisher quite right but my daughter has worked it out and said she'll teach me if I buy her a dog.
atombowl65

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:19 pm

atombowl65 wrote:I can't get Kingfisher quite right but my daughter has worked it out and said she'll teach me if I buy her a dog.

I'll teach you if you buy me a ferret. It has to have a hat, mind.

Have you ever attempted Chambertin? I nearly had a stroke trying to play that. I can get about halfway through now.
I was quite proud of myself when I learned Black Waterside. I can do that now, no bother. My Party piece.

"One maaaarnan' faaaaaairrr..."
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby atombowl65 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:50 pm

I'll consult the ferret/mongrel exchange rates and get back to you. What kind of hat? If we're talking Krankenhaus sleeve art it would have to be a ferret in a beret.
Have you ever attempted Chambertin?
Not even on a good day. I'm of the talentless but persistent school of guitar playing whilst my youngest picks things with ridiculous ease. That said she's playing Metallica, Fade to Black at the moment so I may have to shell out on that hound after all.
atombowl65

Postby Wicker Man » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:21 pm

atombowl65 wrote:To demonstrate my tin ear further I've just checked and I actually have the versions you mention by Richard Thompson, Hem, Kristin Hersh as well as John Renbourn and it turns out it's also apparently the starting point for Avocet by Bert Jansch which I spent most of last year listening to.

I might have guessed Jansch and Renbourn wild have had a crack at it outside of The Pentangle. Incidentally, given your forum name, it occurs to me now you perhaps view everything through a Hitchcock-shaped prism?
Anyway, I'd love to give a more detailed analysis of 'Pretty Bird', but alas my box set still hasn't arrived. I'm starting to suspect it was send third class, if it was sent at all.
Wicker Man

Postby atombowl65 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:21 pm

Bad news about your AWOL box-set. Hope it shows up soon. I do have to put my hands up to a fondness for all things Hitchcock but I think it's the first that time anything BSP have produced has made me think of him. I do remember bits of DYLRM reminded me of the Jam circa All Mod Cons, but then I was convinced that the theme tune to Glee sounded like Eton Rifles, so I probably shouldn't be allowed out without a responsible adult.
atombowl65

Return to British Sea Power