Will Sergeant - A lovely Day Tomorrow

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Will Sergeant - A lovely Day Tomorrow

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:07 pm

I listened to the rare/alt/live disc on my journey into work this morning and when it came to the ALDT track with Will, I couldn't work out what he had actually played on it. I doubt it was the lead, because it sounds too much like Noble. It could have possibly been the picked out rhythm, but I think I could just about make out some 12-string chords here and there, but very low in the mix. (I remember reading in DIFYM that he brought his vox 12 string along to the recording).

Anybody in the know, er, know?
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Re: Will Sergeant - A lovely Day Tomorrow

Postby kevo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:04 pm

Wendelin of Trier wrote:I listened to the rare/alt/live disc on my journey into work this morning and when it came to the ALDT track with Will, I couldn't work out what he had actually played on it. I doubt it was the lead, because it sounds too much like Noble. It could have possibly been the picked out rhythm, but I think I could just about make out some 12-string chords here and there, but very low in the mix. (I remember reading in DIFYM that he brought his vox 12 string along to the recording).

My understanding is he produced it (didn't actually play on it).
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:04 am

kevo wrote:
Wendelin of Trier wrote:I listened to the rare/alt/live disc on my journey into work this morning and when it came to the ALDT track with Will, I couldn't work out what he had actually played on it. I doubt it was the lead, because it sounds too much like Noble. It could have possibly been the picked out rhythm, but I think I could just about make out some 12-string chords here and there, but very low in the mix. (I remember reading in DIFYM that he brought his vox 12 string along to the recording).

My understanding is he produced it (didn't actually play on it).

I'm sure in DIFYM Roy says something like "The 12-string duly shimmered on the track.." or somesuch.

I think I can hear a very typical sounding Bunnymen-esque 12 string (a bit like the 'thrummm' on Crystal Days, and used on many other tracks) very low in the mix on the 2nd and 3rd choruses.

Not that i'm analytical at all.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:17 pm

Seems to be on the intro too.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:09 pm

Also, has anybody noticed that Woody does a perfect 'Sideboard song' drum intro on the live Club Sea Power track, Fear of Drowning?

I've found I can fit in "Mother phoned up last night, she was going spare, she was in a temper pulling out her hair
You’re sister’s courtin’ a scruffy looking ted, father don’t give a monkeys and this is what he said.."

before the bass comes in.
Wendelin of Trier

Postby The Secretary » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:05 am

Hello Wendy. If I remember correct, Will's 12-string Vox teardrop guitar is there with backward reverb. Quite right, as on Ocean Rain. As for who plays the guitar. No one knows! Neil and Will were abandoned to finish that recording themselves. Not the most loquacious men in rock they vibed on in a hilarious and pretty cool mode of 'production by shrug, half smile and occasional grimace'. Golden years!
The Secretary

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:12 am

The Secretary wrote:Hello Wendy. If I remember correct, Will's 12-string Vox teardrop guitar is there with backward reverb. Quite right, as on Ocean Rain. As for who plays the guitar. No one knows! Neil and Will were abandoned to finish that recording themselves. Not the most loquacious men in rock they vibed on in a hilarious and pretty cool mode of 'production by shrug, half smile and occasional grimace'. Golden years!

lol (as the kids say) Classic! I can just picture the scene. Thanks Roy.
Wendelin of Trier

Return to British Sea Power