Confirmation

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Confirmation

Postby Heartland » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:09 am

Announced tonight that BSP ARE playing the Friday night of long division festival in June.

Fucking get the fucking fuck in.
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Re: Confirmation

Postby hairymicta » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:46 am

Yes indeed, it's been a long time coming but we finally got them to play in Wakefield. £15 per ticket from that Billetto website on the Internet. Happy days!
If it's got anything to do with me, I don't want anything to do with it
hairymicta

Postby burgin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:50 pm

Yay! at last a BSP gig almost in walking distance of my house :-)
burgin

Postby pomfob » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:10 pm

Very pleasing, I must say.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby intheheather » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:44 pm

And Wakefield is always a fun night out...
Did they mean nothing or were they filled with hidden clues?
intheheather

Postby pomfob » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:49 pm

intheheather wrote:And Wakefield is always a fun night out...

Friday in Wakey...the blood chills...
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:14 am

pomfob wrote:
intheheather wrote:And Wakefield is always a fun night out...

Friday in Wakey...the blood chills...

Two in a row, potentially.
http://warehouse23.co.uk/events/half-man-half-biscuit/

May still go to Bury St Edmunds the 12th though. Grrr, decisions, I hate decisions. Normally when the two go head to head we go Biscuits, because they only do 5-6 a year and I've only seen them a fraction* of the number of times I've seen British Sea Power, plus I've never been to Bury St Edmunds and I go to Wakefield all the time... but all things are not really equal when Bury St Edmunds would involve time off work and paying for a hotel whereas we can get to Wakey after work and home to our own bed afterwards, and coming as it does between Primavera and payday could also be a factor. Think I'll get BSP tickets (given both will sell out so spares will be shiftable), defer the decision, see what else the respective bands may have lined up by then... do I win today's firstworldproblems award? :)

* About 1/7
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Heartland » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:40 pm

Ah no, Mr Pomfob, relax. It’s not like that anymore.

We’ve shed our reputation for frustrated macho, post-industrial aggression. It’s all nature and the arts now. Why, if I was the discerning BSP gig-goer, I’d get to Wakefield early in the day and sample the culture.

There’s the Yorkshire Sculpture Park out at West Bretton, usually hosting some fabulous exhibition, or “intervention,” as these things are often called. And probably a statue or two featuring someone with their cock out.

Then there’s the Hepworth Gallery; our own post- GDR concrete monolith, loved by visitors, loathed by locals, but also containing artistic treasure.

There’s Sandal castle, Newmillerdam lake, Pugneys country park [complete with bird watching shed where you can wait, with sandwiches and flask, for whatever winged creature you hope to see]

Throw in the city’s discount bakeries, some truly tip top pubs and the venue itself; a restored hive of local industry, more art, and folk milling about, and your trip will be complete.

“Welcome for a day or stay forever.”
Heartland

Postby burgin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:48 pm

You missed easy access to our High Security Prison (once home to Harold Shipman)
burgin

Postby pomfob » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:04 am

I jest...I've been to Wakefield a fair few times in the past few years, mainly thanks to those lovely Long Division people. Apart from a quite scary trip down Westgate after The Fall played the social club behind the prison, Wakefield seems a decent place. I agree that there are several very fine pubs as well.

None of this helps my Long Division proper vs Sea Power at the Roundhouse dilemma.
pomfob

Postby Mr Bod » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:07 pm

I would think people would let you off if you stayed up north taking in say Sea Power Manchester decline - Sea Power festival set- Long Division proper and give the Roundhouse a miss.
Plus we would not meet before said London gig resulting in me undertaking a more sensible pre-gig drinking schedule resulting in the probabilities of me entering venue sober rising somewhat.

I have also made a mental note to self; never see the Fall in close proximity to a prison...
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby Blackout » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:34 pm

Mr Bod wrote:I have also made a mental note to self; never see the Fall in close proximity to a prison...

Too late, alas, for some of us: popular Fall venue Lower Kersal Social Club in Salford being about a mile down the river (or by road, but that doesn't conjure up quite as amusing an image) from HMP Forest Bank, an establishment not unknown in the Manchester area for occasional leakiness of naughty people. I didn't realise the group favoured such locations in other cities too, though. I think we could be onto something.....
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby pomfob » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:04 am

Blackout wrote:
Mr Bod wrote:I have also made a mental note to self; never see the Fall in close proximity to a prison...

Too late, alas, for some of us: popular Fall venue Lower Kersal Social Club in Salford being about a mile down the river (or by road, but that doesn't conjure up quite as amusing an image) from HMP Forest Bank, an establishment not unknown in the Manchester area for occasional leakiness of naughty people. I didn't realise the group favoured such locations in other cities too, though. I think we could be onto something.....

I've not yet had the pleasure of the Lower Kersal - not much of a fan of The Fall, am I?

I like the MES quote expressing admiration for his grandad's hiring policy - basically wait for the prisons to chuck out & hire the likeliest looking lads emerging. The implication was he might use similar methods himself...

Rampantly off topic. Sorry.
pomfob

Postby Heartland » Sun May 10, 2015 8:47 pm

Been informed that "plenty of tickets" are still available for this.

I know I'm not the only one who's spent about eight years digging into the promoters to get BSP on here, so it'd be a shame if it fell flat. Not the most glamourous BSP event of the summer and sandwiched between the Manchester and London gigs, but if you can, get yourselves along.

Cheers
Heartland

Postby Blackout » Mon May 11, 2015 8:39 am

We're going now, Biscuits have announced a number of dates for later in the year (oddly prolific for them) so going to do the BSP treble (maybe even quadruple if I can find a way of doing Brighton, though I suspect I really can't).

Such a fantastic venue as well, you may say not the most glamorous location but I seem to be visiting Wakefield quite a lot for gigs, something I'd never done until a couple of years ago, it's definitely a good place for music these days and I think the Rhubarb Bomb / Long Division crew have a lot to do with that.

People who have not been before: the venue is literally 5 minutes from the station so easy to get back to Leeds, Sheffield, York, Huddersfield, Manchester afterwards (though we're staying over because we got ridiculously cheap advance train tickets to London for Saturday from there).
And there she was....

Blackout

Next

Return to British Sea Power