Sea Of Brass

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Sea Of Brass

Postby fiona » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:25 pm

Well that was a bit good. It took the first few songs for my brain to adjust to the unaccustomed solemnity but after that it was non-stop brilliant.
Highlights: Lately, Lights out for Darker Skies, and of course The Great Skua. I was surprised the brass band weren't involved in The Land Beyond (I think it was that one) as it's always seemed like an obvious one for a bit of extra brass.
Also enjoyed having a brief jump around at the front during Waving Flags.

The conductor - when he was introduced towards the end as having arranged the pieces, was that just for Fodens or for all the brass bands on the whole tour? He was great fun to watch.
fiona

Postby pomfob » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:14 pm

fiona wrote:...The conductor - when he was introduced towards the end as having arranged the pieces, was that just for Fodens or for all the brass bands on the whole tour? He was great fun to watch.

I think his name is Peter Wraight. He did the arrangements, & he's been conducting at all the shows. He does come across as having a tremendous time.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby fiona » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:35 pm

pomfob wrote:I think his name is Peter Wraight. He did the arrangements, & he's been conducting at all the shows. He does come across as having a tremendous time.

Thanks for the info. I kind of thought that each band would have their own conductor - must be interesting for them to work with someone new. You could see some of the band members were really into the songs they weren't playing on, nodding along and having mini-dances in their seats. A few who looked slightly less impressed but on the whole they seemed to be enjoying it.
fiona

Postby trickyvegas » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:53 pm

pomfob wrote:
I think his name is Peter Wraight. He did the arrangements, & he's been conducting at all the shows. He does come across as having a tremendous time.

I can confirm he did enjoy himself as was lucky to bump into him at the hotel during a late night whisky session.
trickyvegas

Postby cawseetiger » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:15 pm

Lately was very powerful at Kendal and at one point thought it was morphing into the 1812 Overture! The Great Skua was nothing short of majestic.
Inland between Dogger Bank & Scroby Sands
cawseetiger

Postby Gorfield » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Amazing gig - the music was so powerful and I enjoyed a good jump around for waving flags!

managed to get some sheet music for Skua too which will be framed!

bit miffed at the lies regarding start time and lack of support band though.. I could have had a few more pre gig pints somewhere cosy instead of freezing my arse off watching that horrible support act!
Gorfield

Postby Gorfield » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Gorfield

Postby burghblue » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:12 pm

Really enjoyed the gig. It was a bit tricky to find a sweet spot for good sound seeing as the brassband had a tendency to drown out the rockband, but halfway through the set I moved forward from my traditional middle-aged gig goer position of next to the mixing desk and found something approaching a sweetspot.

The songs that worked the best for me were the bigger, rockier numbers - Atom, MoJ, Lately, Lights Out, Waving Flags. I was a little surprised to be less moved by Skua as that has always been a highlight at normal gigs, but I think that may have been something to do with the brassband not really kicking in to the tailend of it, so it wasn't the full-on impact I was expecting.

I'd love to hear a decently mixed recording of these songs (a studio recording would be ideal). Some of the subtleties of the likes of A Wooden Horse (again, love that song but it didn't hit me as much as I thought it might) and Hammy's stuff would become a lot clearer.
You're an absolute shower...
burghblue

Postby Gorfield » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:12 am

i managed to get all of wooden horse..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gucMqtMNF5k
Gorfield

Postby Skinku » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Gorfield wrote:i managed to get all of wooden horse..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gucMqtMNF5k

Thanks for that, the conductor is very sprightly.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby lucky6 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:16 pm

Greetings all. Haven't been on here for a while. A quick question for those of you who have already seen a Sea of Brass show...

How long is the show in its entirety? And does it tend to start on time?

It could last all night and include the entire back catalogue as far as I'm concerned, but I need to meet up with someone (who is foolishly not attending) after the show, so need to know roughly what time I'll be leaving the Barbican.

Many thanks!
lucky6

Postby Kramer » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:02 pm

lucky6 wrote:Greetings all. Haven't been on here for a while. A quick question for those of you who have already seen a Sea of Brass show...

It could last all night and include the entire back catalogue as far as I'm concerned, but I need to meet up with someone (who is foolishly not attending) after the show, so need to know roughly what time I'll be leaving the Barbican.

Many thanks!

It's around 90 minutes in duration. I imagine it will start on time, electricity supply permitting.
What are you artists from Manchester doing in Morecambe?
Kramer

Postby lucky6 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Kramer wrote:
lucky6 wrote:Greetings all. Haven't been on here for a while. A quick question for those of you who have already seen a Sea of Brass show...

Many thanks!

It's around 90 minutes in duration. I imagine it will start on time, electricity supply permitting.

Thanks! And yes indeed, let's hope they put the coins in the meter this time!
lucky6

Postby Dr_Dupree » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:16 am

I enjoyed tonight's show very much.

At least two tunes from each stage in BSP's career to date, and a couple of surprises (Scotty take a bow).

Interesting that the start of Machineries of Joy got the biggest audience recognition, and for me the three tunes they played from that album were highlights. The title track, A Light Above Descending, and the magnificent and humbling third encore, When a Warm Wind.

Looking forward to receiving the recordings, hopefully in far less time than Chilcot is taking to deliver.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity
Dr_Dupree

Postby Weddoes » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:19 am

Fantastic concert waving flags here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1pwWnW-fGs
Weddoes

PreviousNext

Return to British Sea Power