Sea Of Brass

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Sea Of Brass

Postby redc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:15 pm

LikeAnotherLanguage wrote:Good grief, I have to go to the Brownsea Island thing. So it's £30 for the ferry as well, and they're going to play ON it? I foresee having to sell my Barbican Theatre ticket now, can't really justify both dates, and then I can go and see Teleman that night. Any interest in seat A23?

The Peddler wrote:On twitter they say that this date *is not* part of the sea of brass project.

As my first moderator action in 3 years or more, I've moved these posts into a new topic.

PS Sorry, I know there's still another Bownsea related post in the Sea of Brass, but I haven't got the time or strength of will to go through the whole seemingly random procedure again for that one, which isn't really doing any harm where it is.
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby TheAlex » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:09 pm

cawseetiger wrote:After missing Durham and the red mist setting over me....I've booked 2 tickets for Miss Cawseetiger and I for Sea of Brass in Kendal. Even pushed the boat out and booked couple of night stay too.

Not as grumpy now!

It was 5 years before I saw Man of Aran and it was worth the wait!

Heavenly Waters was sublime, the intro to Atom amazing - I wasn't sure about the rest of Atom but it's probably because I don't have a good ear. A Light Above was great too. The only disappointment was that Waving Flags didn't get the brass band treatment - which I thought was a given after seeing it with the brass band at Krankenhaus.

I went to Durham Cathedral last night to see two other acts at the brass festival - I wasn't sure whether to go but I got there 2 minutes before the first band started and there were restricted view tickets for £8 so I thought "why not?" It made me appreciate BSP even more - the headline act in particular barely bothered with any brass from what I could hear and when there was brass it just sounded like token "it won't ruin the song too much here" stuff - so the Army band were standing there doing nothing for most of the night - a complete contrast to BSP who embraced it brilliantly and creatively. Does anyone know if there were many BSP-neutrals at the Gala? About half the audience left early from the cathedral and loads of people were complaining about the lack of brass-action. It'd be great if BSP were invited back to play at the cathedral alongside a cool light show. I hope BSP have recorded (or will) some of this.
TheAlex

Postby kevo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:19 pm

LikeAnotherLanguage wrote:Good grief, I have to go to the Brownsea Island thing. So it's £30 for the ferry as well, and they're going to play ON it? I foresee having to sell my Barbican Theatre ticket now, can't really justify both dates, and then I can go and see Teleman that night. Any interest in seat A23?

As redC has already said, this isn't a Sea of Brass event.BSP will be accompanied by a quintet as opposed to a full orchestra.
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Blackout » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:23 pm

TheAlex wrote:
I went to Durham Cathedral last night to see two other acts at the brass festival - I wasn't sure whether to go but I got there 2 minutes before the first band started and there were restricted view tickets for £8 so I thought "why not?" It made me appreciate BSP even more - the headline act in particular barely bothered with any brass from what I could hear and when there was brass it just sounded like token "it won't ruin the song too much here" stuff - so the Army band were standing there doing nothing for most of the night - a complete contrast to BSP who embraced it brilliantly and creatively. Does anyone know if there were many BSP-neutrals at the Gala? About half the audience left early from the cathedral and loads of people were complaining about the lack of brass-action. It'd be great if BSP were invited back to play at the cathedral alongside a cool light show. I hope BSP have recorded (or will) some of this.

Yeah Jo Hamilton, the "headline act", whom I had never heard of before, was fucking dull as shite, proper Radio 2 / Later With Joolzzzzzz "alternative" MOR for people who "appreciate" music but have never loved it. Though the visuals were pretty good we fucked off to the pub after a bit. We went for Lanterns On The Lake, the support, who were excellent - shoegaze brass! Quite a few people were there for them, and I'm pretty sure most of them (certainly everyone I spoke to) shared our opinion of Ms H.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Blackout » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:25 pm

Anyway BSP, I'll try and do some pictures see if that works.
Attachments
02.JPG
02.JPG (171.62 KiB) Viewed 7046 times
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby Blackout » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:27 pm

another one

"You cannot make another post so soon after your last."

oh seriously fuck off with that..............

try again.................

HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO CUNTING WAIT???
Attachments
03.JPG
03.JPG (157.34 KiB) Viewed 7045 times
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby Wicker Man » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:28 am

Really excited about this, now.
Thanks for the reports, all y'all.
Wicker Man

Postby pomfob » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:58 pm

pomfob wrote:Oh my boys, my boys...that was very, very special. I'll stick the set list up later, but highlights were a sublime opening Heavenly Waters, Lately, & a full Atom, including the 'your heart is a mess' lntro. Yes, that's right. Fuck.

Sorry for the delay, I went on a very long walk on Friday & turned into a zombie for a couple of days. Anyway, here's how it is on the setlist;

Heavenly Waters
Wooden Horse
Albert's Eyes
Atom
-----
Land Beyond
No Need To Cry
Once More Now
Smallest Church
----
Machineries
Light Above
Lately
Lights Out For Darker
----
ALL OFF STAGE
----
W Flags
-WELCOME ON BRASS-
SKUA
Warm Wind

So yeah, the traditional Ham Sandwich, Lately somewhat truncated, Waving Flags performed without the brass, umm THEY DID ALL OF ATOM & IT WAS BRILLIANT! Ahem.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:46 pm

By the way, I was encouraged in the pub before the brass to watch the Future Islands performance on Letterman. What. The. Fuck. Was. He. Thinking?
pomfob

Postby Skinku » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:25 pm

pomfob wrote:By the way, I was encouraged in the pub before the brass to watch the Future Islands performance on Letterman. What. The. Fuck. Was. He. Thinking?

I like that he was well twatted.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby kevo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:10 am

Louder than War review of Durham, including a vid of Skua - it's fair to say I think they enjoyed it!

http://louderthanwar.com/british-sea-po ... ve-review/
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby pomfob » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:41 pm

I appear to have booked a ticket for the De La Warr Pavillion. Not many left towards the front.
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:32 pm

pomfob wrote:I appear to have booked a ticket for the De La Warr Pavillion. Not many left towards the front.

I'm kind of sad I can't go to that one but can't really afford the time off - these Friday jobs eat up the leave by the half day don't they? Not even sure I could reliably get there in half a day. Anyway if I ticked off all the venues on my list of venues I want to go, life would be really boring....

( To be honest I'm not actually that sad... >> http://www.ents24.com/liverpool-events/ ... 14/3894578 )
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby pomfob » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Blackout wrote:
pomfob wrote:I appear to have booked a ticket for the De La Warr Pavillion. Not many left towards the front.

I'm kind of sad I can't go to that one but can't really afford the time off - these Friday jobs eat up the leave by the half day don't they? Not even sure I could reliably get there in half a day. Anyway if I ticked off all the venues on my list of venues I want to go, life would be really boring....

( To be honest I'm not actually that sad... >> http://www.ents24.com/liverpool-events/ ... 14/3894578 )

Pretty much all gigs anywhere south of Birmingham can now be justified at the end of a visit to the family in the south west, because IT'S ON THE WAY BACK.
pomfob

Postby Blackout » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:58 am

That's interesting.

What is?

Well I stuck "British Sea Power Kendal gig" into google just now as a lazy route to confirm I had the correct date for said mysterious unknown location gig before booking our accommodation (if anyone's interested we are at the County Hotel, no relation to my fave London dive of the same name, and they still have a room or two available at the time of posting) and see this (screengrab attached)...

Link doesn't actually work at the time of writing *(or maybe doesn't work off my work computer) - http://www.cumbrialive.co.uk/home/briti ... -1.1153585

A new venue? How very exciting! Any clues, Cumbrians or others?
Attachments
bspnews.jpg
bspnews.jpg (36.42 KiB) Viewed 6722 times
And there she was....

Blackout

PreviousNext

Return to British Sea Power