Favourite BSP Albums

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Favourite TWO BSP Albums are

The Decline of British Sea Power
36%
Open Season
16%
Do You Like Rock Music?
19%
Man of Aran
6%
Valhalla Dancehall
8%
Machineries of Joy
11%
From The Sea to the Land Beyond
5%

Total votes : 108

Re: Favourite BSP Albums

Postby Mr Bod » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 pm

They simply have too many great songs, but they can still surprise us with a set list, after all who here would think the The Pelican would make it in to a 2018 set list ?

Very welcome mind you, was so taken aback at Reading by it it kind of washed over me, enjoyed it's full winged out fun much more the next night at KoKo.

One thing they could do is bring back the pre-support set they did for a wile of slower more mello songs worked very well
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby Bastian » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:41 am

Mr Bod wrote:They simply have too many great songs, but they can still surprise us with a set list, after all who here would think the The Pelican would make it in to a 2018 set list ?

Very welcome mind you, was so taken aback at Reading by it it kind of washed over me, enjoyed it's full winged out fun much more the next night at KoKo.

One thing they could do is bring back the pre-support set they did for a wile of slower more mello songs worked very well

They do indeed. Minor complaints aside I always enjoy their sets regardless. I've gone to see them more during this album period than any previous album and have enjoyed all the sets, which was easy when the latest album was so good.

Always thought The Pelican would some back at some point and it was definitely a highlight of the current tour that brought on peak jumping around. If not before then, hopefully one or two of my live favourites will also return on their 10th anniversary.
Bastian

Postby Slim » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:37 pm

Surprised to see so much love for the debut, I guess I just don't "get" it. I bought it in 2003 and quite liked it in parts, but it never really clicked. And I tuned out.

Until October last year, when a friend asked me if I wanted to go with him to a BSP gig, and I did. I had such a belting time at the gig, and subsequently discovering the music they'd done since, that I actually feel rather dismayed to have fallen overboard 15 years ago.

But I still don't much like the debut album. I think Do You Like Rock Music? is my favourite. But I very much like the last one as well.
Slim

Postby flatland juz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:39 pm

How very dare you.
I bought The Decline Of... for a mate last christmas. He has never seen BSP but I had it in my head that I would get him to a gig one day. I was convinced that he would have, if not a damascene experience then at least a found admiration and an understanding of my obsession. When I asked him what he thought he told me that he thought it was a bit bland.
BLAND?!
I feel ashamed just telling you lot about this.
There is just no helping some people.
flatland juz

Postby Slim » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Carrion reminds me a lot of Coldplay's Viva La Vida which of course, came a few years after it. I do like Carrion more than that Coldplay tune, but - that's not saying a lot.
Slim

Postby flatland juz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 pm

Oh I see, it's a wind-up.
flatland juz

Postby Slim » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:16 am

Not sure how you inferred that but no, I'm not particularly fond of the debut. Yet their Difficult Second Album Open Season is terrific. Wish I'd listened to it when it came out.
Slim

Postby Bastian » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:51 pm

flatland juz wrote:How very dare you.
I bought The Decline Of... for a mate last christmas. He has never seen BSP but I had it in my head that I would get him to a gig one day. I was convinced that he would have, if not a damascene experience then at least a found admiration and an understanding of my obsession. When I asked him what he thought he told me that he thought it was a bit bland.
BLAND?!
I feel ashamed just telling you lot about this.
There is just no helping some people.

Can understand someone not liking it but bland? jesus, that makes no sense.
Bastian

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:43 pm

Still Open Season and The Decline Of.. for me. LTDITP and Man of Aran tied for third.

I know i'm a dreadful sentimentalist but i've been looking at the Brilliantine Mortality site again recently, I love re-reading the fan write-ups on there.
Reading those tour reports and thinking back to my own experiences of seeing the band between 2003-2005, I can sometimes conjure up that feeling I used to get when the lights went down and 'Men Together Today' started. Impossible to describe it but if I manage to get myself there these days it's instant tears.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Blackout » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:12 pm

Wendelin of Trier wrote:Still Open Season and The Decline Of.. for me. LTDITP and Man of Aran tied for third.

I know i'm a dreadful sentimentalist but i've been looking at the Brilliantine Mortality site again recently, I love re-reading the fan write-ups on there.
Reading those tour reports and thinking back to my own experiences of seeing the band between 2003-2005, I can sometimes conjure up that feeling I used to get when the lights went down and 'Men Together Today' started. Impossible to describe it but if I manage to get myself there these days it's instant tears.

You nailed it in the first three words there, though cannot disagree with the rest either.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:20 pm

Blackout wrote:
Wendelin of Trier wrote:Still Open Season and The Decline Of.. for me. LTDITP and Man of Aran tied for third.

You nailed it in the first three words there, though cannot disagree with the rest either.

I am so bad for the nostalgia/sentimental thing, i'm sure it does me no good. As himself says "Don't believe all of your golden memories, they're little more than make believe..." He's probably right but, still, I will always treasure those years in particular.

You've probably already seen this, but just in case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXyTDl0vqo
Wendelin of Trier

Postby TheAlex » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Wendelin of Trier wrote:
Blackout wrote:

I am so bad for the nostalgia/sentimental thing, i'm sure it does me no good. As himself says "Don't believe all of your golden memories, they're little more than make believe..." He's probably right but, still, I will always treasure those years in particular.

You've probably already seen this, but just in case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXyTDl0vqo

I go on big nostalgia trips sometimes and read old gig reviews and magazines etc. I don't play computer games these days but buy Retro Gamer magazine because I like reading about the games I used to play.

I don't think I've seen that video before. I love that version of The Scottish Wildlife Experience - just as I experienced it back in 2003 I guess. Has it changed a lot live or is it just me?

As for albums, I'm not far off you two. Favourite first: Decline, Open Season, FTSTTLB, Man of Aran, Let the Dancers (which might drop below one or two others).
TheAlex

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:31 pm

TheAlex wrote:I don't think I've seen that video before. I love that version of The Scottish Wildlife Experience - just as I experienced it back in 2003 I guess. Has it changed a lot live or is it just me?

Yeah, I thought that too but I couldn't tell you how it is different. A touch more frantic back then maybe? Faster?
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Bastian » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Wendelin of Trier wrote:

Very cool. In bed with the flu. A well timed flu in fairness given the goings on of the last few weeks. But this will come in handy, thanks.
Bastian

Previous

Return to British Sea Power