Any word on supports for April yet?

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Any word on supports for April yet?

Postby Blackout » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:40 am

TheAlex wrote:I only just found out who supported BSP in Derby last year.

I have no idea who supported in Derby last year. Seem to recall we stuck our heads in, felt the temperature, thought "they're going to have to be pretty bloody good for us to spend more time in here than we have to", and clearly decided they weren't. Someone we'd now have heard of, then?

They do seem to have three basic types of support: experimental/noise (Bo Ningen, Teeth Of The Sea), broadsheets-and-6-Music-friendly quirky electro-indie (East India Youth, Public Service Broadcasting) or singy songy folky indie (Sparrow and the bloody Workshop, and, er, can't remember, I've blanked them all out cos they all sound the same to me). Needless to say I'd take most from category 1 and a couple from 2 if it were up to me but I appreciate that many BSP fans do like category 3, so they can do that at the ones I'm not at. :)
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Heartland » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:26 pm

Asked before on here, to deafening silence: Anyone know who the support band were in Hebden Bridge last July? Only saw last three or so songs, but I liked them.

Thanks
If anyone can British Sea Power can
Has anybody seen Woody, Noble and Yan?
Heartland

Postby gtw » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:08 pm

Heartland wrote:Asked before on here, to deafening silence: Anyone know who the support band were in Hebden Bridge last July? Only saw last three or so songs, but I liked them.

Thanks

Was it Beans on Toast?

They HAVE had some stunning supports. I think my favourites would include These New Puritans, Race Horses, The Killers, Firebrand Boy (for obvious personal reasons), Electric Soft Parade, Bo Ningen and iLiKETRAiNS. The DYLRM? support band was Film School wasn't it? Can't really remember anything of them, or Seal Cub Killing Club, who supported on the Lights Out tour.
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby TheAlex » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Blackout wrote:
TheAlex wrote:I only just found out who supported BSP in Derby last year.

I have no idea who supported in Derby last year. Seem to recall we stuck our heads in, felt the temperature, thought "they're going to have to be pretty bloody good for us to spend more time in here than we have to", and clearly decided they weren't. Someone we'd now have heard of, then?

Dolomite Minor from down south, so it was surprising they supported in the Midlands. I enjoyed about half their set, but always like to know who I've seen however it goes - maybe it's a bit of OCD in me. I only realised I saw Editors a few years after I saw them so it made me even more underwhelmed about them.
TheAlex

Postby Blackout » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:13 am

TheAlex wrote:Dolomite Minor from down south, so it was surprising they supported in the Midlands. I enjoyed about half their set, but always like to know who I've seen however it goes - maybe it's a bit of OCD in me. I only realised I saw Editors a few years after I saw them so it made me even more underwhelmed about them.

Oh I'm the same, wouldn't call it OCD, I mean why would anyone not want to know the names of every band they had ever seen? That way (at the very least) you know if they're worth turning up for if they appear again. They (Dolomite Minor) did Gloucester too, not really my cuppa, but wouldn't go out of my way to avoid them, wouldn't rush to see them either.

Film School are a great band, or were; no idea if they're still going, they started out kind of Interpolesque only fuzzier on the debut c.2005, by the time they were supporting BSP (Oct 08, so DYLRM era but not the album release tour) they'd released their second and defining album "Hideout" which was more towards MBV territory (and great) - their BSP support set at the Ritz was I think the loudest support set I've ever heard (largely because BSP never did that arsey thing making supports play quieter, and the Ritz has one hell of a PA). Apparently they made a third album in 2010 but I've never heard it or knew of its existence til now: last entry on Wikipedia is the gloriously worded "the band's exploration of new territory delighted some at the same time as it disappointed others". I'm kind of intrigued as to how bad/different it was now...

Seal Cub Clubbing Club were rubbish slightly "zany" studenty indie, as the name implies. And we had to suffer them on numerous occasions circa 05-06 I seem to recall. Ugh.

They don't seem to do use full tour supports these days, but I suspect that's more to do with the way the music industry has changed - back in the day a label would invest in a recently signed band by sending them out on a support tour at a loss and whilst this does still happen it's far less common, so a band doing a few dates (often self-funding, or at least partially so, in that they might get paid for the gigs but have to sort their own logistics and supplement with merch sales if they can) or local band getting a big stage support for their local gig is more common at BSP's level of venue.

Still not heard anything re this coming tour though.
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby pomfob » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:24 pm

Coming at this from the opposite direction, it's not going to be Post War Glamour Girls, Sky Larkin or The Burning Hell because they're all touring at the same time...yes, I'm miffed about that.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby blir » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:32 pm

Blackout wrote:Film School are a great band, or were; no idea if they're still going, they started out kind of Interpolesque only fuzzier on the debut c.2005, by the time they were supporting BSP (Oct 08, so DYLRM era but not the album release tour) they'd released their second and defining album "Hideout" which was more towards MBV territory (and great) - their BSP support set at the Ritz was I think the loudest support set I've ever heard (largely because BSP never did that arsey thing making supports play quieter, and the Ritz has one hell of a PA). Apparently they made a third album in 2010 but I've never heard it or knew of its existence til now: last entry on Wikipedia is the gloriously worded "the band's exploration of new territory delighted some at the same time as it disappointed others". I'm kind of intrigued as to how bad/different it was now...

Their track "Waited" from that album made my 2010 mix CD (a shiny music disc with a spindle hole). It wasn't necessarily a top 20 song of the year but good in a mix with sort of a fun surfy hippy psych sound.
"Has anyone tried to insert a finger into any of their anuses?" - Rake
blir

Postby bancroftboy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Jesus I remember that Ritz gig, started Film School towards the front and was slowly pushed back and back by the sheer VOLUME of their set until I went out of the back door. It was so loud I couldn't hear it if you know what I mean.
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
bancroftboy

Postby TheAlex » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:51 pm

I can't remember Film School being that loud at The Ritz but I did enjoy them. I was hugely excited about them at the time but I think it was because I was desperate for shoegazey stuff. Hideout is a good album but nothing more. I can't remember getting into the follow-up to that much.
TheAlex

Postby blir » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:13 pm

WELL??
"Has anyone tried to insert a finger into any of their anuses?" - Rake
blir

Postby pomfob » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:38 pm

pomfob wrote:Coming at this from the opposite direction, it's not going to be Post War Glamour Girls, Sky Larkin or The Burning Hell because they're all touring at the same time...yes, I'm miffed about that.

Not Lorelle Meets The Obsolete either, though at least they play Leeds on the Monday before Sea Power are in York.
Last edited by pomfob on Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby deathorglory » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:04 pm

It is not The Rolling Stones as they have cancelled all tour dates due to the suicide of Mick Jagger's girlfriend L'Wren Scott.
deathorglory

Postby nora dindian » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:59 am

Warm Digits for a few dates it seems. They're fucking excellent so don't miss them. Krauty instrumentalists.
nora dindian

Postby Blackout » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:27 am

Ace! Really enjoyed them at Liverpool Psychfest last year and been intending to get to one of their own gigs ever since - but a few of BSP's will certainly do, that's a two thumbs up from me. Pretty sure I have seen them with Plank! as well, I Know they have worked with them.

According to this http://warmdigits.co.uk/?page_id=4 they are doing Liverpool, Edinburgh, York, Holmfirth and Hull.

Probably means we'll get indie-folk on the southern half of the tour but hey, that's why there are pubs :)
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby Don_Gorgon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:19 pm

Just added: Pastel Colours To Support British Sea Power In Falmouth, Falmouth http://bit.ly/1pzBijS
Where the ancient oak leaf clusters grew, the deaths head hawk moth flew
Don_Gorgon

PreviousNext

Return to British Sea Power