End of The Road Festival

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: End of The Road Festival

Postby Wicker Man » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:31 pm

Yes, and he's sexy enough to have married a former Doctor Who assistant. I rest my case (of Marqués Del Romeral Gran Reserva Rioja).
Wicker Man

Postby Skinku » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:59 pm

Can everyone have a wank and a nice lie down please.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby gtw » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:10 pm

Am I really the only frequenter of this place going to that place? :(

Yous - an under educated guardian reader.
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby LikeAnotherLanguage » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:28 pm

I'll be there! I've swapped my stewarding shift so I can drink while watching them. The weekend will be a good one.
LikeAnotherLanguage

Postby devonmaid » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:24 am

Me to!
devonmaid

Postby boom » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:37 am

gtw wrote:Am I really the only frequenter of this place going to that place? :(
LikeAnotherLanguage wrote:I'll be there! I've swapped my stewarding shift so I can drink while watching them. The weekend will be a good one.
devonmaid wrote:Me too!

Me too. Thursday night to Monday lunchtime. I packed yesterday and pretty much finished populating Clashfinder schedule.

Definites:

BSP, Hookworms, Stephen Malkmus, The Horrors, The Flaming Lips, Horse Thief, Richard Thompson, Cate le Bon, Three Trapped Tigers, Eagulls, Sweet Baboo, The Districts

Probables:

Traams, Gruff Rhys, St Vincent, The Gene Clark No Other Band, Pink Mountaintops, Yo la Tengo, Ezra Furman, Wytches, Drenge, Israel Nash, David Thomas Broughton, Archie Bronson Oufit, Samantha Crain

Are you sorted for transport Gary?
When you're out of the black, and into the blue
boom

Postby gtw » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi Jim... I'm traveling there in Friday by coach. Supposed to be returning by coach as well but if you have space for a little one...?
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby devonmaid » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:47 am

for me;
BSP, Hookworms, The Horrors, Horse Thief, Futur Primitif, Deer Tick. Benjamin Booker. Eagulls, Mazes, Drenge, JCC and probably Lyla Foy, Jenny Lewis, Ezra Furman etc. Most are pretty new to me so been good listening to something a bit different.
See you at the front for BSP on Friday night.
devonmaid

Postby devonmaid » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:42 am

Fantastic set, they went down a storm

Set list;
Machineries
Remember me
Waving flags
Great skua
Mongk
No lucifer
When a warm wind blows
Lights out for darker skies
North hanging rock
Larsen b
Louis Louis
Carrion

Loved it!
devonmaid

Postby Skinku » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:36 am

That is a cracker of a set!
I can feel the energy as I type through my tired crispy fingers.
I need more BSP.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby LikeAnotherLanguage » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:39 am

It was an excellent set, lots of energy and lots of foliage in the crowd. I met the man with the twig on the stick again, but again can't remember the details of its Facebook page anymore.
Also, Woods on Garden Stage last night were flipping fantastic.
LikeAnotherLanguage

Postby gtw » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:36 pm

The best I've seen them at a festival.

Fantastic weekend, with many highlights. I really couldn't see what dero ws complaining about... still a great scale, with nothing spoilt by the extra capacity at all. the new Park stage was a welcome addition.
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby Singing Bear » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Wendelin of Trier wrote:Middle class chavs drinking trendy cider near a double decker bus painted an unusual colour and carrying copies of the guardian round with them in case the sauce from their wild mountain mushroom chilli + olive burger gets on their crappy fucking clothes.

"isn't it nice for the kids to run around while mum can browse the stalls for a butterfly brooch made out of faux cow udder and dad can get serious in the book tent with books about trees"

I hate festivals in general and I particularly detest this one.

Bloody well right. Sanity speaks.
Singing Bear

Postby kevo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Singing Bear wrote:
Wendelin of Trier wrote:Middle class chavs drinking trendy cider near a double decker bus painted an unusual colour and carrying copies of the guardian round with them in case the sauce from their wild mountain mushroom chilli + olive burger gets on their crappy fucking clothes.

"isn't it nice for the kids to run around while mum can browse the stalls for a butterfly brooch made out of faux cow udder and dad can get serious in the book tent with books about trees"

I hate festivals in general and I particularly detest this one.

Bloody well right. Sanity speaks.

Or just people going to see some great bands in a beautiful outdoor setting?

If Wendelin's attack is on the middle-classes and their choice of drink, food and fashion I'm very surprised he enjoyed Kate Bush so much. There must surely be a hell of a crossover in the demographic make up of the audience for both events.
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby gtw » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:36 pm

Scores on the Doors

Friday
The Wyches - Made such an impact I can't remember a single thing 3/10
Black Lips. Only caught 3 songs. Ramones meets Showaddywaddy. 6/10
Drenge - Phenomenal. Rage and authenticity. Couldn't help feeling sorry for Alex Turner. 9/10
Ezra Furman - Splendidly entertaining. 7/10
BSP - The best I've seen them at a festival. Fantastic sound, great setlist. Clearly in the mood to mix things up a bit. 9/10
Gene Clark No Other Band. This screamed 'not my thing' at me. (Members of Fleet Foxes, Fairport Convention, Grizzly Bear and Beach House delivering a note for note tribute performance of an overlooked Byrds solo album). I stayed and absolutely loved it. 9/10

Saturday

Flaming Lips 11am Soundcheck. Such a nice surprise. Wayne was in splendidly playful mood, joking with those who were in the field and witnessed a full run through of 3 songs. 8/10
TRAAMS - Amazingly, I can't remember a thing about these either. 3/10.
Otti Albietz - gentle and pleasant 6/10
Sweet Baboo - always good fun, but he loses points about rain which he joked he hoped would make it rain, which it duly did, even of only for 3 minutes. 6/10
The Ghost of a Sabre Tooth Tiger. This was brilliant if slightly weird. Sean Lennon, looking and sounding so scarily like his dad that it felt like a parallel universe gig from 1972 in which John had decided to go way pyschier than he actually did. 8/10
Perfume Genius - Beguiling miseryguts - 7/10
Hookworms - Nothing new, but decent enough 7/10
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Took a while for me to get my head around their sound, which was totally new to me... lovely to have something so fresh in a recycled musical world. 9/10
John Grant - Blew my socks completely off. 10/10
David Thomas Broughton - Completely leftfield oddness. Love it. 7/10

Sunday
Futur Primitif - The lead singer out of The low anthem solo with acoustic guitar. Not massively my bag but decent enough. 6/10
Kiran Leonard - 60% of this 18 year old's show was fantastic. Wow! Needs to find his voice and focus his sound a little though. He's going to be huge. 8/10.
Stealing Sheep. Twee electronica and fey vocals. Annoying, but they are clearly loved. 4/10
Daniel Rossen. Sound problems held him back, but I liked this solo Grizzly Bear. 6/10
Yo La Tengo (acoustic set) Nice. 6/10
Radiophonic Workshop - Naff and cheesy. Was lovely to see these old pioneers, but really no need for so much new material, which was just annoying. 6/10 (3 of those points for Doctor Who and their cover of a Delia Derbyshire classic),
Yo La Tengo - Noisy fun. 7/10
Wild Beasts - misfired a little I felt. They seem to have upped the electronics yet further and lowered the more organic elements. And Hayden and Tom barely look at each other on stage.... too busy throwing their own shapes, so it sadly comes across a bit cold and clinical. I still love them. 8/10
how's it going to end?
gtw

PreviousNext

Return to British Sea Power