End of The Road Festival

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: End of The Road Festival

Postby pomfob » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Long Division in Wakefield. THAT'S where they need to play. In September this year, not hippy at all.

And Beacons...a bit beardy. But so am I.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Dero » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:37 am

It's just my subjective experience. The line up *was* amazing (as it usually is) and it is shaping up to be epic again this year too which will make it painful not to go :)

Green man might be a good shout Kevo - thanks.
Can a man of perception respect himself at all?
Dero

Postby gtw » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:33 pm

The following are all known quantities to me who I look forward to seeing there: The Flaming Lips, Wild Beasts, British Sea Power, John Grant,The Horrors, Eagulls, Perfume Genius, Gruff Rhys, Hookworms, Yo La Tengo, Unknown Mortal Orchestra,White Denim, Sweet Baboo, Cate Le Bon, John Cooper Clarke.

Other acts that have been announced that I don't really know are as follows. Any 'do not miss' amongst them as far as anyone here is concerned?

9 Bach, Adult Jazz, Alexis Taylor, All We Are, Andrew Combs, The Barr Brothers, Benjamin Clementine, Bird Courage, Cold Specks, Connan Mockasin, Deer Tick, Drenge, Ezra Furman, Horse Thief, Houndstooth, John Smith, Johnny Flynn, Juana Molina, Mark Kozelek, Marissa Nadler, The Melodic, Nick Waterhouse, Oliver Wilde, Peggy Sue, Pink Mountaintops, The Radiophonic Workshop, Richard Thompson, Rosie Lowe, St Paul and The Broken Bones, Stealing Sheep, Temples, Three Trapped Tigers, Tinariwen, Tiny Ruins, The Wave Pictures, Woods, The Wytches.
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby Hirsute Joseph » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:26 am

I would recommend Peggy Sue (kind of twee indie folk pop), Richard Thompson (folk legend, used to do stuff with his wife Linda Thompson), the Wave Pictures, Radiophonic Workshop (who are the former BBC Radiophonic Workshop) and Johnny Flynn (again kinda folky).
"I challenge Destiny, yes, but I do not leap off cliffs."
Hirsute Joseph

Postby redc » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:22 pm

I rather like Conan Mockasin - he can produce some lovely alt sounds from his guitar (and sometimes a sort of electric zither-type thing), but he's not to everyone's taste. At one of those walk-about festivals in Shoreditch a few years back I dragged a contingent half way up the A11(?) to see him very late on & the consensus of opinion was not good - but the sound that night was quite muddy which did him no favours.

He'd be great on the Garden stage, especially around sunset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PczXYYmeuQs

Listening to that I spot certain similarities to the Unknown Mortal Orchestra, whose songs I found all rather samey at The Great Escape last year - from memory Conan shows are more laid back and varied. Makes me think New Zealand must have an interesting cash crop they're not keen on telling us about save through the medium of twisted pop.
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby PontiacB » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:54 pm

I second the recommendation for Peggy Sue, rubbish name but they are really good. Stealing sheep impressed me live a couple of years ago. Saw The Wytches last night and were very enjoyable live, raucous noisy stuff, the youngsters in the crowd loved them and I thought they were excellent. They look about 17.

I saw Conan Mockasin a couple of years ago and thought he was awful, but as mentioned above a lot of people see something in him that I don't. Probably worth checking him out though because he does seem to split opinion.
PontiacB

Postby pomfob » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Another vote for Peggy Sue. New LP due out, last one produced by PJ Harvey's right hand man John Parish...comparisons valid.

The Radiophonic Workshop actually is various surviving members of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, so you really should.

Mark Kozelek used to be in Red House Painters, also in Sun Kil Moon. Lovely, but melancholic.

I know one song by Houndstooth, and it's great. Woozy, hooky laden psychedelic pop. The rest could be shit though.

Juana Molina is just bloody wonderful. Argentinian soap actress who chucked it all in to make loop n' sample laden folk-pop. Tres Cosas is the LP to check out.

The Wytches are to be avoided, unless whiny grunge-lite revivalism is your thing.
Last edited by pomfob on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby gtw » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:37 am

Thanks guys. Peggy Sue clearly popular here!
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby gtw » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Further line-up announcement: http://ow.ly/i/51Drr/original
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby Revol_T » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 am

I like Peggy Sue too. Seen them a couple of times in Middlesbrough back in 2007/8 when they were still called Peggy Sue and the Pirates (even though there were only two of them). Second occasion was supporting Mumford and Sons upstairs in a pub, strangely enough.
Revol_T

Postby Wicker Man » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:30 am

pomfob wrote:Juana Molina is just bloody wonderful. Argentinian soap actress who chucked it all in to make loop n' sample laden folk-pop. Tres Cosas is the LP to check out, methinks.

Ooh, very keen to see her live. The new LP's another cracker.
Seem to recall Archie Bronson and David Thomas Broughton getting some love on this board, too, and rightly so.
I'd really like to see Marissa Nadler, Unknown Mortal Orchestra and Woods, as well, as some of the bigger names on there, and Otti Albietz is an engaging local lad well worth a look.
That's a really strong line-up. Hmmm...
Wicker Man

Postby LikeAnotherLanguage » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:44 am

I'm now doubling up on 4 gigs this year with acts who are coming to EOTR: BSP, White Denim, Temples and St Vincent. It's a bit spooky really, and don't get me wrong, they all bear seeing several times a year. Particularly looking forward to experiencing White Denim both at a sweaty students' union and in a field on the Wiltshire-Dorset border. Anyway, if you meet a very short and tired steward at the festival who looks in need of a cider, that'll probably be me.
LikeAnotherLanguage

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:41 am

Middle class chavs drinking trendy cider near a double decker bus painted an unusual colour and carrying copies of the guardian round with them in case the sauce from their wild mountain mushroom chilli + olive burger gets on their crappy fucking clothes.

"isn't it nice for the kids to run around while mum can browse the stalls for a butterfly brooch made out of faux cow udder and dad can get serious in the book tent with books about trees"

I hate festivals in general and I particularly detest this one.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Wicker Man » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:10 pm

Wendelin of Trier wrote:I hate festivals in general and I particularly detest this one.

What, more than Latitude? They've got Damion Albran, Dara o' Briain and a poetry tent.
I see a lot of contempt for Guardian readers these days, but most of us are actually pretty sexy.
Wicker Man

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:24 pm

Wicker Man wrote:
Wendelin of Trier wrote:I hate festivals in general and I particularly detest this one.

What, more than Latitude? They've got Damion Albran, Dara o' Briain and a poetry tent.
I see a lot of contempt for Guardian readers these days, but most of us are actually pretty sexy.

I'm really sorry but readers of the Guardian tend to be over-educated, which is a terrible thing for a human being.
Where there should be a rich internal dialouge I find an almost robotic regurgitation of received information, with a side dish of arrogance. All far too comfortable, and 'knowing' (as if!).

I bet Richard Dawkins reads the Guardian.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

PreviousNext

Return to British Sea Power