End of The Road Festival

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: End of The Road Festival

Postby atombowl65 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Second EOTR for me and my daughter. Loved it. Never went when it was smaller so can't really compare. Scale seems fine to me, never felt crowded, the bogs and bins are emptied regularly and whilst it probably does have a bit of a Guardianista middle class feel to it (not unlike Tan Hill) as Robin Ince pointed out last year it's a small price to pay for a weekend of decent music with a way lower than average headcount of twats.

The stewards are good, and the organisers seem to take a great deal of care over the details. The line-up this year was pretty good although much as I like the Wilde Beasts there is no way on god's green earth that they should have been headlining the Woods Stage. Highlights for me by some distance Adult Jazz, Tuneyards, Felice Brothers and BSP. John Cooper Clarke in pretty good form but hate the way he mangles Chickentown these days. Flaming LIps perfect headliners for pissed-up Saturday night but on a same time as John Grant which was a shame. Yo La Tengo good, Hookworms OK, Horrors a bit dull.
atombowl65

Postby devonmaid » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:25 pm

My second time and loved it.

Favourites were; Horse Thief, Benjamin Booker, Hookworms, Mazes, John Grant, Ezra Thurman, GOASTT (Sean Lennon), Deer Tick, The Districts and of course the mighty BSP.
I Was really looking forward to the Horrors but didn't quite feel it. Love the album though.

To me EOTR is a nice, laid back, friendly, festival with a huge choice of music (albeit with a strong American influence).

Two band members and The Secretary stayed for the whole weekend, so it can't be too bad eh?
devonmaid

Postby Wicker Man » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:36 pm

Was there owt like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LlLL-srOAk
If not, you can all just shut up with your "best festival set ever!" gobflapping.
I mean it. Provide proof or shut it.
Wicker Man

Postby pomfob » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:46 am

Wicker Man wrote:Was there owt like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LlLL-srOAk
If not, you can all just shut up with your "best festival set ever!" gobflapping.

Firm but fair, he has a point I'd say. And I miss the crap robot.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Skinku » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:48 pm

Wicker Man wrote:Was there owt like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LlLL-srOAk

EotR had the mental acid induced BSP mash up at stupid o'clock. I am sure all evidence is destroyed. It was a little frightening. It involved lost shoes, Phil trying to kill tents and people and Cpt. Riot describing it as hell.

Also Peacocks.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby Blackout » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Skinku wrote:

EotR had the mental acid induced BSP mash up at stupid o'clock. I am sure all evidence is destroyed. It was a little frightening. It involved lost shoes, Phil trying to kill tents and people and Cpt. Riot describing it as hell.

Also Peacocks.

And apparently me being sick on your tent, an event of which I was unaware until Mrs Skinku informed me about six months later, although as my last memory of said evening is of her feeding me Jagermeister from a hip flask when I couldn't even sit up I believe she was at least partly culpable for any ensuing damage. happy days. sort of.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Skinku » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:01 pm

A lovely event, also witnessed by the much missed BluishBlack. I would like like to say thank you all for that memory!
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby cheesevendor » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:40 pm

Last edited by cheesevendor on Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheesevendor

Postby kevo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Skinku wrote:

Also Peacocks.

I don't remember much of the Bimble Inn carnage (some of which is described in Do It For Your Mum), except for Yan and Hamilton crouching for ages with their backs turned to the audience and just screaming into the mics.

That was the night me and Riot, with nowhere to stay, tried to go to sleep in the information tent - and when he saw the 'ghost' of a man in a trenchcoat on the lonely journey back through the Wiltshire plains.
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Skinku » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Where are my shoes!
My best memory was of Marc Beatty of the Brakes telling me it was all to fucking much and leaving everything on the stage.
It was all to fucking much btw.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby devonmaid » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:00 am

Behind me for BSP at EOTR :)

devonmaid

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:45 pm

kevo wrote:If Wendelin's attack is on the middle-classes and their choice of drink, food and fashion I'm very surprised he enjoyed Kate Bush so much. There must surely be a hell of a crossover in the demographic make up of the audience for both events.

Genuinely cannot be bothered to give a full reply to this, but it wasn't an attack on the middle class. I am middle class (if I have to admit to being part of a class system), from a working class background. I don't hate 'the middle class', I hate the entire class system and its attendant stereotypes.

If there is one particular section of society I have little time for it is those who, often through lack of scope, desire to live their lives as 'middle class' people.
By lack of scope I mean that they seem unable to think in an effective way. Or in any way that I personally find interesting, charming or pleasing.
These are the people who join a 'record club' and get music of somebody elses choice sent to them every month.
They name their kids things like Fetid, Limp-Wristed and Shitey.

Regarding the attempt to make a link between Kate Bush fans and the £700 buggy pushing twonks that roam around fields in dorset with their moussed up quiffs enjoying bands with very little talent, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and imagine you were tired when you wrote that. I believe you went to see the Kate Bush on the same night as me. Even if you didn't, it shouldn't matter. Think again! And if you go to see Kate Bush, take a better look at the bleedin audience.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby kevo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:33 pm

Wendelin of Trier wrote:
kevo wrote:If there is one particular section of society I have little time for it is those who, often through lack of scope, desire to live their lives as 'middle class' people.
By lack of scope I mean that they seem unable to think in an effective way. Or in any way that I personally find interesting, charming or pleasing.
These are the people who join a 'record club' and get music of somebody elses choice sent to them every month.
They name their kids things like Fetid, Limp-Wristed and Shitey

A fair target, but I really don't think that many people who fit that description attend festivals such as EOTR. It's all lurking deep in your prejudiced imagination. Have you met Sean of Goole...?

Wendelin of Trier wrote:Regarding the attempt to make a link between Kate Bush fans and the £700 buggy pushing twonks that roam around fields in dorset with their moussed up quiffs enjoying bands with very little talent, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and imagine you were tired when you wrote that. I believe you went to see the Kate Bush on the same night as me. Even if you didn't, it shouldn't matter. Think again! And if you go to see Kate Bush, take a better look at the bleedin audience.

Unfair to call the bands at EOTR of very little talent, I'd have thought. As for the Kate Bush audience, it was pretty extraordinary for the overwhelming number of the wealthy 'arty' middle-aged. It was like an Islington dinner party, except for the odd, old smelly hippy in a Pink Floyd or Eagles (sadly, not Eagulls) t-shirt.
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:11 pm

edited, too bleedin miserable.
Last edited by Wendelin of Trier on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby gtw » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:27 pm

I just wish I had a quiff to mousse.
how's it going to end?
gtw

PreviousNext

Return to British Sea Power