Lyric analysis: Carrion?

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: Lyric analysis: Carrion?

Postby Singing Bear » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:16 pm

They should seriously consider using use for their next release.
Singing Bear

Postby cymbal » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:23 pm

Another one: Is the first textline in Something wicked meant to sound like words sung backwards? It does to me and I kind of like it.
The forumite formerly known as nördiska viking ja!?
cymbal

Postby Singing Bear » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:40 am

cymbal wrote:Another one: Is the first textline in Something wicked meant to sound like words sung backwards? It does to me and I kind of like it.

Where the ancient oak leaf clusters grew, the deaths head hawk moth flew,

Do you mean 'Fear of Drowning'? Make make the first lines of that out.
Singing Bear

Postby TheAlex » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:11 pm

I go to a writing group and the next meeting is a read around. Instead of reading something of my own I'm going to read Carrion. What other lyrics should I share? I've always like "It starts with love for foliage and ends in camouflage" so Something Wicked tempts me just for that line.

And has http://www.saltywater.co.uk/ gone for good? Now I have to use the other lyrics sites for old BSP lyrics. Scratch that... http://web.archive.org/web/201207170822 ... arrion.php
TheAlex

Postby kevo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:58 pm

TheAlex wrote:I go to a writing group and the next meeting is a read around. Instead of reading something of my own I'm going to read Carrion. What other lyrics should I share? I've always like "It starts with love for foliage and ends in camouflage" so Something Wicked tempts me just for that line.

And has http://www.saltywater.co.uk/ gone for good? Now I have to use the other lyrics sites for old BSP lyrics. Scratch that...

The lyrics page from my ancient site is still there, but it pre-dates Salty Water and probably has a lot of mistakes!

http://www.brilliantinebsp.pwp.blueyond ... yrics.html

I'd forgotten that Northern Pete (BSP fan from many moons ago!) also supplied guitar chords for a lot of their early songs, if anyone wants to learn how to strum along...

http://www.brilliantinebsp.pwp.blueyond ... hords.html
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Singing Bear » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:29 pm

kevo wrote:
TheAlex wrote:I go to a writing group and the next meeting is a read around. Instead of reading something of my own I'm going to read Carrion. What other lyrics should I share? I've always like "It starts with love for foliage and ends in camouflage" so Something Wicked tempts me just for that line.

And has http://www.saltywater.co.uk/ gone for good? Now I have to use the other lyrics sites for old BSP lyrics. Scratch that...

The lyrics page from my ancient site is still there, but it pre-dates Salty Water and probably has a lot of mistakes!

I'd forgotten that Northern Pete (BSP fan from many moons ago!) also supplied guitar chords for a lot of their early songs, if anyone wants to learn how to strum along...

http://www.brilliantinebsp.pwp.blueyond ... hords.html

Cheers, kevo. I actually discovered this excellent resource a while back and even tried working up a few versions for my own questionable pleasure.
Singing Bear

Postby TheAlex » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:56 pm

kevo wrote:The lyrics page from my ancient site is still there, but it pre-dates Salty Water and probably has a lot of mistakes!

Thanks. I'm not sure if Yan even knows the lyrics to Carrion.

This is what I decipher, the last verse is particularly different to your site and Salty Water:

Carrion inside of your heart,
Under the brine, you won't notice the dark.
And can stone and steel and horse's heels
Ever explain the way you feel?
From Scapa Flow to Rotherhithe,
I felt the lapping of an ebbing tide.

Oh the heavy water how it enfolds -
The salt, the spray, the gorgeous undertow.
Always, always, always the sea,
Brilliantine mortality.

So irrigate your heart,
Until you know you're complete.
And you're draped in kelp,
below by eight thousand feet.
My soul, she cried, I thought you'd died,
Amid fumes of formaldehyde.
You have been gone for so long,
I felt the lapping of an ebbing tide.
My love,
I felt the lapping of an ebbing tide

Oh the heavy water how it enfolds -
The salt, the spray, the gorgeous undertow.
Always, always, always the sea,
Brilliantine mortality.

And when this Corpus Christic isle became
A land in ocean blue.*
Again she cried, “you turned my eye",
Amid flues of a mile wide (????)
And in the end an August sun
On one by why we blew
Until the nether (?) scream in the evermore
And in the open graves we saw.
???????????? fades out behind chorus

---

*Yan now sings "And when this Corpus Christic isle expands into the ocean blue.
And all across the open waves Lenin(?) voices are shooting so far(?)"
TheAlex

Postby kevo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:18 am

I think "in the open graves we saw" is almost certainly correct as he often sings that line, or adaptations of it, in the live versions of the song.

kevo

Postby Blackout » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:39 am

"Until the devil screamed in the evermore, at envy of the grace we saw"

Might not be right but is what I have always heard, and it does make some kind of sense to me, but who knows?

6 Music played a live version the other morning which was incredible, DJ said it was "from 2003" so I am guessing it was from that Warwick University gig on the November tour* that was recorded for Lamacq's** show at the time, definitely worth hunting down if you haven't got it. I think I have a CDR somewhere.

* Suddenly remembered how I got a flat tyre on the way down, couldn't get the wheel off cos it had been done at a garage and the nuts were not shifting manually for anyone; on the phone to the RAC begging them to be quick because we had an important event we couldn't possibly miss or there'd be all sorts of repercussions. They were quick as well. Sincerest belated apologies to any RAC members who had a genuine emergency in the Sandbach area that day........

** Was that the night we (especially Kevo and Frazer) nearly moshed Lamacq to death, or was that another gig?
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:56 am

Blackout wrote:** Was that the night we (especially Kevo and Frazer) nearly moshed Lamacq to death

Thank god thats an 'm' and not an 'n'
It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby trickyvegas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:24 pm

Wendelin of Trier wrote:
Blackout wrote:** Was that the night we (especially Kevo and Frazer) nearly moshed Lamacq to death

Or an 'a' instead of an 'o'
trickyvegas

Postby TheAlex » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Blackout wrote:6 Music played a live version the other morning which was incredible, DJ said it was "from 2003" so I am guessing it was from that Warwick University gig on the November tour* that was recorded for Lamacq's** show at the time, definitely worth hunting down if you haven't got it. I think I have a CDR somewhere.

I forgot about that. I think I have the whole gig at home somewhere.

As for "at envy of the grace we saw" I can't hear that however many times I try. I'm beginning to think I'm right with the flue though.

trickyvegas wrote:
Wendelin of Trier wrote:

Or an 'a' instead of an 'o'

Or a 'k' instead of a 'q'. Or a 'p' instead of a 'z'.
TheAlex

Postby kevo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:01 pm

Blackout wrote:Was that the night we (especially Kevo and Frazer) nearly moshed Lamacq to death, or was that another gig?

I don't think it was (not on my account anyway, as I was otherwise engaged) - he used to go to a few though, so could have been another time. Frazer was definitely dancing like a mentalist in his stripey t-shirt.

Yeah, the Warwick one was recorded for 6Music - Lamacq played a couple of tracks the following week (Carrion and Blackout, I believe) and dedicated them to you and me and various other people from these parts (I remember him saying something like 'This is for Cath ORbergine, Keeeevo, and Angela Cannon... Third Battalion, we salute you!'). I have the recording somewhere, will have to dig it out.

kevo

Postby TheAlex » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:13 pm

I was just reading an old interview and Yan describes Carrion as "An Ingmar Bergmann film put to music." I think I've only seen Wild Strawberries and it seems to fit that sort of atmosphere from what I remember.

http://www.largeprimenumbers.com/pukka- ... glish.html

The whole interview is a good read, but here is Yan's summary for the rest of the songs:

Men Together Today - The Antidote to a football crowd chant.
Apologies To Insect Life - Fyodor Dostoevsky was correct on most things but disrespected insects.
Favours In The Beetroot Fields - Field Marshal Montgomery taking care of his troops sexual desire.
Something Wicked - Emblems of Nature used for unnatural purposes.
Remember Me - Where is memory stored? In chemicals, books...
Fear Of Drowning - Fear of the right wingers, fear of suffocating in a sea of information.
The Lonely - A song about a friend Geoff Goddard. The man who wrote Telstar and Johnny Remember me.
Carrion - An Ingmar Bergmann film put to music.
Blackout - Hyperventilating into the world of the dead.
Lately - An Epic story of a soldier's thoughts and sights in world war 2.
A Wooden Horse - The musical version of the Trojan Horse.
TheAlex

Postby Mr Bod » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:50 pm

I think you can make them out better on the Jacobs Session Master Mix version which did the rounds with the demos from the first 100 box sets .. well may be..
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

PreviousNext

Return to British Sea Power