A Light Above Descending video

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: A Light Above Descending video

Postby kevo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:03 am

Love the Childhood Memories one, too -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE-AjSSm4cA
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby The Peddler » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:37 pm

I find the video all a bit "meh". It is a beautiful song,arguably the best from the last album, and the video attempts to add gravitas to the song that it just doesn't need.

I still think that Remember Me is, and forever will be, the video highlight from the band.
The Peddler

Postby SPT » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:27 pm

The Peddler wrote:
I still think that Remember Me is, and forever will be, the video highlight from the band.

Yup - a simple idea, well-executed.

Obviously Who's In Control was the nadir. Worst thing ever done in BSP's name, worse even than some of those b-sides.
You can always outrun a golfer

http://www.soundsxp.com
Always changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/
SPT

Postby Rake » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:43 pm

What a load of codswallop.
Rake

Postby Skinku » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:40 pm

Phew, I am not the only one then?
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby Skinku » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:45 pm

Oh god the WIC video, I feel sick.
Do videos matter anymore?
Hang on, thought about that now, yes, the answer is yes, youtube replaced MTV as an A/V experience.
BSP are letting themselves down.
Trousers up boys and chin down to the crotch.
Bristol fizzy.
Erm.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby Rake » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Skinku wrote:Phew, I am not the only one then?

Nope, you're not. Wasn't so bothered by the WIC vid as the song was pretty throw-away, but the ALAD is a real let-down as it had so much potential, brilliant song. If you'd have told me in 2004 that BSP would be capable of putting out dross like that I'd have told you to get your head checked.
Rake

Postby The Secretary » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Do like the Light Above video – no particular conjunction with the song, but enjoyed the two together, taking me back to a song I hadn't heard for a wee while.

Childhood Memories is a real nice bit of film? Sweet record of that period. Imagine maybe seeing that in 20 years time and it bringing waves of memory and association – that place (Dungeness, Romney marshes), the band, people I know through the band...

Who's In Control is indeed repulsive. The worst thing band have been assoc with. By millions of muppet miles.
The Secretary

Postby Rake » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:21 pm

The Secretary wrote:Do like the Light Above video – no particular conjunction with the song, but enjoyed the two together, taking me back to a song I hadn't heard for a wee while.

Childhood Memories is a real nice bit of film? Sweet record of that period. Imagine maybe seeing that in 20 years time and it bringing waves of memory and association – that place (Dungeness, Romney marshes), the band, people I know through the band...

Who's In Control is indeed repulsive. The worst thing band have been assoc with. By millions of muppet miles.

Interesting you enjoyed the two together, tried watching it again but had to turn off as it was ruining a much-loved song for me. It's one of those songs where a well thought out and executed film could've taken to another level. It reminded me of watching the film of Catch 22 after reading the book, I just wanted to get the whole imagery out of my head and go back to how I saw it in my mind's eye.
Rake

Postby Skinku » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:15 am

Hang on, people are making sense on this forum, something is wrong.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby The Secretary » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:58 am

Ho ho.

Wouldn't say is life-changing AV. But just liked that film – made me think of very-good-but-not-necessarily-life-changing contemporary UK drama. Maybe First Summer Of Love...

But is 'directional', non-abstract imagery so could occlude the song for some? And it is a good song innit?
The Secretary

Postby Wendelin of Trier » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:03 pm

It's like everything you never said but always meant to say
Wendelin of Trier

Postby Don_Gorgon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:37 pm

The Secretary wrote:Ho ho.

Wouldn't say is life-changing AV. But just liked that film – made me think of very-good-but-not-necessarily-life-changing contemporary UK drama. Maybe First Summer Of Love...

But is 'directional', non-abstract imagery so could occlude the song for some? And it is a good song innit?

I think it is just this 'directional' imagery that doesn't work specifically with the song. Generally the song resonates somewhere more remote in my brain that doesn't process the more emotional and immediate type of imagery that the video evokes. So when I watch the video I just feel a bit confused.

Also, the lyrics of the song suggest the subjects within suffer from some type of alienation and being "different," yet the video shows two fine human specimens rolling around having experiences that "different" and "other" people can only dream of. In that regard it's either just an ironic choice of accompanying video or perhaps reflects the deeper thoughts of the songs subjects. twaddle twaddle twaddle Wonderful song anyway, although I miss some of the lyrics from the EP version. (my favorite of the EP songs)
Where the ancient oak leaf clusters grew, the deaths head hawk moth flew
Don_Gorgon

Postby Rake » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Think you've nailed it there Don.
Rake

Postby Singing Bear » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:34 pm

All this pained analysis is fine but it's only a bit of entertainment. Some like it, some don't - that's life. Seems like they decided to put something quite classy-looking together, for which they should be praised. Perhaps it doesn't succeed as well as some would like; perhaps some don't like the two young actors; perhaps the fish takes too much of a bashing; but, never mind, there'll be more videos to come in the future and tons of fun stuff they've already done. For what it's worth (very little), I think it's pretty good even if, to these eyes and ears, it has only a tenuous connection to the song. Does that always matter? Roll on the April tour.
Singing Bear

PreviousNext

Return to British Sea Power