Bsp Lunar Festival, June 6th

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Bsp Lunar Festival, June 6th

Postby pauloso » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:35 pm

I keep a shotgun buried in a box.
pauloso

Re: Bsp Lunar Festival, June 6th

Postby pomfob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:58 am

Day ticket for the Friday £37. Tim Burgess also playing, plus a couple of acts I've not heard of. More to be announced, one assumes. On some country estate in the Midlands - Tamworth In Arden. Ooh, that sounds nice, doesn't it?

It has potential...
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby Liam » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:27 pm

FFS.

After the Art Brut disaster of 2007 I finally get the chance to go to a gig in Tamworth, and it's when I'm not in work, and would you believe it I'm in fucking Portugal at Primavera.
Liam

Postby Blackout » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:52 am

Relax, it's not the real Tamworth. It appears to be somewhere near Solihull. In fact it's about three miles from the village in which Nick grew up (Cheswick Green), which would be ace if he actually still had any friends or relatives that lived there, but they all escaped...

Shame Victories At Sea aren't on BSP day, great band.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby woosiep » Wed May 21, 2014 3:48 pm

TANworth..is actually where Nick Drake grew up - the church in the village has his grave. its not too tacky either - a few guitar picks and flowers. A lovely vista over leafy warwickshire from the spot.

Got friday day tickets especially for BSP (although TOY are well worth seeing) should be a nice event and I think pretty "bijou" - my ticket numbers are 44 and 45!
woosiep

Postby Skinku » Wed May 21, 2014 8:59 pm

I love wooslep and so do my socks, smelly socks mind.
That's John Torode!
Skinku

Postby Wicker Man » Thu May 22, 2014 12:54 pm

woosiep wrote:TANworth..is actually where Nick Drake grew up - the church in the village has his grave. its not too tacky either - a few guitar picks and flowers. A lovely vista over leafy warwickshire from the spot.

I don't think that's the Nick she was referring to, though I read it the same way at first.
Wicker Man

Postby Blackout » Thu May 22, 2014 3:14 pm

Sorry, dead hippies not really my forte; was referring to a well known Midlander BSP away crew regular and frequent brown bear impersonator (who is also my other half, known to many here, and good friend of Liam to whom I was replying). Apologies for mis-copying the place name off whoever posted above me though - weird thing is I have looked at the website loads of times and even looked the place up on a map, and had not clocked it was an N at all.
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby Blackout » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Aaaaanyway.....

Contrary to posters which say TIM BURGESS in big letter and British Sea Power in smaller ones, I've just heard from someone in the BSp organisation that they are in fact headlining and will not be on til after 9pm, so if anyone is considering coming from afar and wondering if they can get there in time, you might.

There are a couple of Premier Inns not far away for non campers, we're in the Hockley Heath one.
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby kevo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:30 pm

It looks like a tidy little fest, would defo go if I didn't have to work - booo!
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Rob Strong » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:08 am

90 minute set, went down very well, great location - if they can make this festival work they have loads of room to expand.
Not exactly rammed this year though.
Strict 11pm curfew so the end-of-set antics weren't quite as frenetic or drawn-out as they've been at other shows I've seen.

Less than 10 miles from home so I've ducked out of camping - made the right call if the rain here this morning is anything to go on.

Machineries
Monsters
Atom
Loving Animals
Blackout
Warm Wind
Oily Stage
Larsen B
Zeus
Light Above Descending
Waving Flags
Great Skua
No Lucifer
Remember Me
Spirit Of St Louis
Carrion
All In It
Rob Strong

Postby Blackout » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:50 pm

I did think of the campers, as that massive crack of thunder woke us around 7am Saturday morning and we looked out and saw it absolutely shitting it down... then went back to sleep in my lovely warm comfortable Premier Inn bed :) Friday was great though wasn't it? Proper sunshine and everything. Really enjoyed the set (thanks for posting, Rob; I never write these things down) - a proper festival set as we said at the time, and it was wonderful to hear "Blackout" done so beautifully, took me right back. Relatively restrained crowd our side (Nobside on this occasion) aside from the most drunk woman ever with whom we had the same conversation at least five times until she fell over in a puddle with no apparent outside assistance, though they seemed a bit more lively Hamside especially when the bear came out (one only, brown, usual suspect therein).

I liked the festival as well. Just one field, a couple of stages, nice friendly atmosphere and plenty of space; slightly worried by there only being one bar (that we found; someone said there was another one) but they were fast and efficient and lots of nice local beers for 4 quid as opposed to the fiver for heinecarling industrial pisswater at more commercial festivals.

I read somewhere it was run by the same lot who do Moseley Folk Festival which we and BSP were at last year, they clearly know what they're doing. Surprisingly impressed by Tim Burgess solo stuff; even quite enjoyed TOY (the sound was very good) although they could still do with someone writing them a memorable tune of some description.

Was initially slightly annoyed that BSP were on Friday as they always seem to be at festivals (means taking time off work) but yeah when I woke up Saturday I was very happy indeed that we weren't going to have to do much in the way of going outside...
And there she was....

Blackout

Postby Rob Strong » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:47 pm

Blackout wrote:I read somewhere it was run by the same lot who do Moseley Folk Festival which we and BSP were at last year, they clearly know what they're doing.

It is. They also do Mostly Jazz in the same park they use for Moseley Folk
http://mostlyjazz.co.uk/
The line-up for Moseley Folk looks decent again this year - even more so if it's 10 mins drive from your front door. Johnny Marr headlining Friday, with Jimi Goodwin and Thurston Moore amongst the supporting cast. And Woods on Saturday, which has to be done.
http://www.moseleyfolk.co.uk/

You'll be pleased to hear that best-band-in-Birmingham Victories At Sea were great on Saturday. They have a new song called Bloom which is a fine addition to the set. Other-best-band-in-Birmingham Sunshine Frisbee Laserbeam played an acoustic set on Saturday but unfortunately I was on my way to deliver my eldest son home.
Best-band-in-Coventry The Grafham Water Sailing Club played another excellent, excellent set opening the main stage on Sunday. I really get hooked in every time I see them.
Best-band-in-Wolverhampton Victor sadly split up earlier this year.
Rob Strong

Return to British Sea Power