April tour

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Re: April tour

Postby Rake » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:52 am

Hirsute Joseph wrote:I'm seriously going to walk all the way from my house in Portslade to Folkestone.

Good effort. Remind me to pm you my mobile number nearer the time, in case you get in trouble en route. We'll be driving that way and could save you with a flask of brandy and some nice biscuits.
Rake

Postby flatland juz » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Blackout wrote:
YoungHooligan wrote:First time poster, long time listener.

My plan is partially complete. I have a ticket for every released date so far, now my hunt starts for a camper :)

I recognise a few reoccurring faces at many gigs I've been to, so actually would like to meet you (if you're on here) properly. Looking forward to it......!

I'm on here. I go to quite a few. Hello.

Thus far I've only booked York, Holmfirth, Sheffield and Cambridge for this one, going to have a think about what else - probably most of them, though may skip a couple of southern ones to minimise the whole time off work thing.

I am particularly excited about Cambridge, as it is getting harder and harder to find cities in which I have never been to a gig (as in anyone, not just British Sea Power). I had actually presumed it was the largest UK city in which I had not yet been to watch live music, being a county town and with the university and that, but according to http://www.ukcities.co.uk/populations/ it seems that title is currently held, for me, by Sunderland, so let's hope they get that sorted soon - though Plymouth, Swansea, Peterborough and St Albans all sit above Cambridge's 41st place too; that's an interesting challenge for me for 2014, complete the top 40... dear BSP and other bands I like, you have your orders :)

Oddly I have seen British Sea Power once in Cambridge......Massachussetts.

You will enjoy the notoriously unresponsive Cambridge audience.

(Or we may catch them on a good night.)
flatland juz

Postby pomfob » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:49 am

Blackout wrote:... getting harder and harder to find cities in which I have never been to a gig...Plymouth...

You'll be fucking lucky, unless you're concealing a fondness for pub-blooze covers bands. I think the last gig I went to in the old home town was Bjork in 2008.
Do it for the Butthole Surfers.
pomfob

Postby pomfob » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:38 am

Any more news about Liverpool & Sunderland, by the way?
pomfob

Postby kevo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:14 am

pomfob wrote:
Blackout wrote:... getting harder and harder to find cities in which I have never been to a gig...Plymouth...

You'll be fucking lucky, unless you're concealing a fondness for pub-blooze covers bands. I think the last gig I went to in the old home town was Bjork in 2008.

It must be the largest city in the UK which is completely absent from any kind of regular gig circuit. Very surprising given its size (twice the size of Cambriidge - and about the same as Brighton and Hove) - and also the fact that it is by far the biggest city for miles (the second biggest in the south west after Bristol) and has the whole of Devon and Cornwall as a catchment area.
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Blackout » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:01 pm

kevo wrote:
pomfob wrote:

It must be the largest city in the UK which is completely absent from any kind of regular gig circuit. Very surprising given its size (twice the size of Cambriidge - and about the same as Brighton and Hove) - and also the fact that it is by far the biggest city for miles (the second biggest in the south west after Bristol) and has the whole of Devon and Cornwall as a catchment area.

Bored and waiting for a meeting I had a look on ents24 and basically there seem to be no venues sized between pub and the 4000 capacity Pavilions - and whilst the latter seems to get a small amount of mainstream / chart stuff e.g. James Arthur, Tom Odell, Rizzle Kicks - you'd have thought with a 4000 capacity venue at their disposal (and it looks like a nice one as well for that size) they'd occasionally book bands - for instance that Manics tour in 2010 where BSP supported was jam packed with "that sort of place" but not that one. Maybe they just don't think there's the market, that people already go to Bristol or whatever. I remember when Wakefield used to be a bit like this, assuming people would just go to Leeds etc, but the past few years there have been some great gigs and now it has that Long Division festival - once people started putting gigs on there it set a ball rolling. #

But yeah, Sunderland and Scouse, get on with it BSP, cheers
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby pomfob » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:50 pm

Blackout wrote:
kevo wrote:
Blackout wrote:... Plymouth...

It must be the largest city in the UK which is completely absent from any kind of regular gig circuit. Very surprising given its size (twice the size of Cambridge - and about the same as Brighton and Hove) - and also the fact that it is by far the biggest city for miles (the second biggest in the south west after Bristol) and has the whole of Devon and Cornwall as a catchment area.

Bored and waiting for a meeting I had a look on ents24 and basically there seem to be no venues sized between pub and the 4000 capacity Pavilions - and whilst the latter seems to get a small amount of mainstream / chart stuff e.g. James Arthur, Tom Odell, Rizzle Kicks - you'd have thought with a 4000 capacity venue at their disposal (and it looks like a nice one as well for that size) they'd occasionally book bands - for instance that Manics tour in 2010 where BSP supported was jam packed with "that sort of place" but not that one. Maybe they just don't think there's the market, that people already go to Bristol or whatever.

Kevo, you are painfully correct. Exeter's about the nearest decent indie venue, the Lemongrove (I think, never been). The Pavilions isn't bad at all, very good sound - the twice I've been there. But that's it. There used to be Ziggy's in the early 80s, which shut down almost simultaneously with me starting to want to see live bands. Every couple of years, some brave soul has a go at opening something up, but the locals aren't interested, and neither it seems are the students, so it folds after 6 months or so.

The football team's rubbish, too. Perhaps now people will stop wondering why I never went back after going to college in Manchester.
pomfob

Postby kevo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Liverpool date has now been added on Ticketweb: http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/event/britis ... kets/98565
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Blackout » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Ah, nice one. For those unaware, the EVAC is the venue formerly known as Masque and/or Barfly. But it's loads nicer. Whoever's taken it over has done a really good job on it.

I actually like going there now, which is.... mildly annoying, actually, cos it was easy to never bother going to gigs in Liverpool when all the venues were shite but now it's got loads of good ones, but the last train back to Manchester is still one of the most grim experiences public transport has to offer.
And I asked, "Are you dreaming about a crow?"
And there she was....

http://blackout300.tumblr.com/
Blackout

Location: Lost in a dream somewhere between Akureyri and the Diagonal...

Postby cawseetiger » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Cambridge ticket has arrived
Inland between Dogger Bank & Scroby Sands
cawseetiger

Postby Rake » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Folkestone tickets sorted, room with balcony and sea views booked in Sandgate, proper BSP weekender.
Rake

Postby bancroftboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:37 pm

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Britis ... story.html

terrible local journalism, it's lifted direct from the bio page of the BSP website
you lot are a complete army of c*nts!
bancroftboy

Postby Mr Bod » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

London tickets arrived in the post today, still trying to work out the Roadmenders e-ticket system but it looks like if you have the reference number thats all you need.

Any one else doing the sort trip up to Northampton after London?
08 Forum 10 Hippodrome 11 HippodromeAcademyForum 12 HopFarm 13 100ClubShepherd'sBushEmpireDerbyVenue 14 KokoRoadmendersHaunt 15 DerbyTheatreBarbicanConcorde2RoundhouseDerbyVenue 16 DerbyVenueTunnel267 17 RoughTradeEastBarbican 18 Sub89Koko
Mr Bod

Postby pomfob » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:36 pm

Mr Bod wrote:Any one else doing the sort trip up to Northampton after London?

I've no idea what a sort trip is, but the current plan takes in both these gigs. Subject to change, of course.
pomfob

Postby Don_Gorgon » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm booked from Northhampton to the end of the tour. I only have to worry about one ticket (Bristol) arriving via mail also, which is wonderful compared to last spring. On to hotels and trains now.
Where the ancient oak leaf clusters grew, the deaths head hawk moth flew
Don_Gorgon

PreviousNext

Return to British Sea Power