Accoutrements

Moderators: blir, The Shopkeeper, redc, de lacey, Captain Quiet, kevo, The Secretary, Rake

Accoutrements

Postby gtw » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:40 pm

In the light of discussions about the BSP robots over on the Leefest thread, I wondered what people's favourite or least favourite stage dressings, costumed characters, sonic bridges between songs, film clips etc were. Basically - a thread about BSP on stage that is about everything other than the band's songs or peformance, the audience or the venue.

Can we catalogue every unique accoutrement of note?
how's it going to end?
gtw

Re: Accoutrements

Postby Dr_Dupree » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:03 pm

The first time I saw BSP play live was at the Roundhouse in October 2008.

The accoutrements that especially impressed me then were:

1) The wind-up air raid siren (Atom)
2) The bike (a Raleigh 20, yeah?)
3) The Owl
4) Ursine Ultra
The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity
Dr_Dupree

Postby gtw » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Ursine Ultra is certainly the longest-lived I suppose, alongside the stage birds and the foliage. First sighting at ULU 2004 I believe?

Noble's tummy keyboard (non-functioning) - Fort Rox

The dada audio track (can't remember any more detail than that). Decline era. Lasted through Open Season gigs?

The Larsen B foam machine - Open Season tour.

Made of Straw Man with the Existential Angst - Camden Crawl Koko gig 2011
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby redc » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:05 am

Dr_Dupree wrote:The first time I saw BSP play live was at the Roundhouse in October 2008.

The accoutrements that especially impressed me then were:

1) The wind-up air raid siren (Atom)
2) The bike (a Raleigh 20, yeah?)
3) The Owl
4) Ursine Ultra

..but surely trumped by The London Bulgarian Choir? They were definitely my favourite (massive steerable radio telescopes excepted), if counted as "accoutrements".
There sails the heron
drawing behind him
a long wake of solitude
redc

Postby kevo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:21 am

Predicatably, I love the old skool BSP 'accoutrements'. The Kurt Schwitters 'Ursonate' audio, TS Eliot's 'Triumphal March', the Betjeman poems, the bi-planes before St Louis, 'This is not goodbye, this is just goodnight' (which they used at Leefest, incidentally)...

Ursine Ultra first appeared at ULU in October 2003, the day Remember Me was re-issued. The foliage and plastic birds etc were around a long while before the bear reared his ugly head (as seen in the Meridian TV doc, which was filmed in October 2002). Used to like the way they used the audio clips (particularly the Schwitters stuff and church bells, etc) to fill the gaps when changing guitars between songs. Sadly missed.

Least favourite? The Patrick Mooreheads with their laser guns at the gig at the Concorde (2004 I think - the day John Peel died) and the current naff tin-foil robots.

Anyone remember the 'ghosts' during 'All In It' at the start of the Udderbelly gig at the Great Escape in Brighton? I quite liked that, but suspect I was the only one. The 12-foot Noble with the luminous ball face at Dot-to-Dot in Nottingham also deserves a mention... (picture, anyone?!)
Kevo or Matthew Wood? Malevolence or good?

BSP fansite: Brilliantine Mortality
Blog: Under the Pylons
kevo

Postby Muybridge » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:46 am

Noble's dinosaur mask at Natural History Museum.
Hamilton's mask thing at Koko.
Eamon, anytime.
You say perhaps that this is romantic nonsense? That when we look at the natural world, even in the near-magic of autumn colour, our impressions can only be subjective? But you must become as a little child to enter this Kingdom.
XIII
Muybridge

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:01 am

Eamon's drum. One of those things that will never sadly return...

Think of plenty of dafty one-off additions:
The toy seagulls and football head at Nottingham 2006, Kevo they were some of the best pics of the band, ever from Adam Hare, we had them on the site, but when we re-developed we "lost" them...
Horses head & bulbs at Haldern 2005
The "Koelsche drinking sock" and 3d glasses at Gebaude 9, 2008
Air raid siren in all of DYLRM tour.

Band clothing should be a completely separate topic.

The Panda in the crowd (which gig in London?) surely should be counted?

Would it be cheeky to say some of the past & present members of this board should be added to this list?? Elitism thrives in Broken Britain...

Love all this stuff as long as it doesnt get too "Last Night of the Proms".
Die "beste Show ever" (c) British Sea Power) beinhaltete fliegende Zwiebeln, einen Plüsch-Pferdekopf, Walzer-tanzende Fans und Musiker, das Besteigen der Boxen, das unabsichtliche Zerstören der Speaker (und einer Gitarre und einem Keyboard).
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby mick wright » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:20 am

Agree with kevo re: 'old school' TS Eliot and Schwitters etc and the air raid siren - when it broke at National History Museum, Noble threw it off stage, nearly braining Archie.

I wonder what happened to the 'visitors book' into which we scribbled way back when.
What you need the most,
Is beans on cheese on toast. Today.
mick wright

Postby gtw » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:41 am

The flags (DYLRM onwards)

The Wicker Stag (Open Season Forum show)

The giant owl with revolving head and laser eyes (Valhalla tour) never materialised did it?

The opening scene of 'A Matter of Life and Death' being played in full before the band took to the stage. (Decline era, and presumably earlier?)

Cumbrian wrestlers (Brighton Komedia DYLRM show, and Later with Jools Holland. Anywhere else?)
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby kevo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:27 am

gtw wrote:The opening scene of 'A Matter of Life and Death' being played in full before the band took to the stage. (Decline era, and presumably earlier?)

Don't think it was quite 'in full' - it was shown before their support slots with the Flamng Lips, Jan 2003. Can't remember it being shown at any other gigs, but might well be wrong.

They also screened 'Great Expectations' - just once, I think, possibly at Hove Old Market?

kevo

Postby kevo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:29 am

Lancashire Fusileer wrote: some of the best pics of the band, ever from Adam Hare

Yeah, they were fantastic. What a gig that was.

kevo

Postby avocetboy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Noble attempting to wash his face with Smoggy's wagon wheels in Bradford, whilst not a BSP inspired accoutrement, still makes me smile.
How would they survive back in the wild?
avocetboy

Postby gtw » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:13 pm

kevo wrote:
gtw wrote:The opening scene of 'A Matter of Life and Death' being played in full before the band took to the stage. (Decline era, and presumably earlier?)

Don't think it was quite 'in full' - it was shown before their support slots with the Flamng Lips, Jan 2003. Can't remember it being shown at any other gigs, but might well be wrong.

I didn't 'do' the Lips BSP tour, so only saw this at The Garage spring 2003. Pretty sure it was the whole scene.
how's it going to end?
gtw

Postby blir » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Lancashire Fusileer wrote:Eamon's drum. One of those things that will never sadly return...

Not true. Eamon and his drum (or "a" drum) made all our hearts flutter again at Bowery Ballroom this year. But yes, agreed.
"Has anyone tried to insert a finger into any of their anuses?" - Rake
blir

Postby boom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:33 pm

blir wrote:
Lancashire Fusileer wrote:Eamon's drum. One of those things that will never sadly return...

Not true. Eamon and his drum (or "a" drum) made all our hearts flutter again at Bowery Ballroom this year. But yes, agreed.

indeed,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEfn2gIGuoo
When you're out of the black, and into the blue
boom

Next

Return to British Sea Power